Changing neoprene and water... weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomboyy

Carnival ride inspector
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did a search and talked to my LDS. I am using a BP/W, SS and 12 #'s lead, wearing a 7mm full with 3mm hood and boots in fresh water.

I am going to GC next week for 1 day and doing 2 dives. I am going to wear a skin and change to full foot fins. I am planning on wearing 6# of lead. Does this sound right ?

A lot depends on the tank you were using at home vs the resorts tanks.

If you were using a HP100 steel at home and the shop in GC only has AL80's, well the difference may not be that much.

forgot that variable:D

I use a Al80 at home

I did a search and talked to my LDS. I am using a BP/W, SS and 12 #'s lead, wearing a 7mm full with 3mm hood and boots in fresh water.

I am going to GC next week for 1 day and doing 2 dives. I am going to wear a skin and change to full foot fins. I am planning on wearing 6# of lead. Does this sound right ?

Tomboyy, When you're wearing a 7mm suit, you are physically displacing water by 7mm x every inch of your body, length and width. . . that is much of your 12 pounds of displacement. Another variable is the salt content where your going. Another consideration is how excited your breathing will be on your first Ocean reef dive. . . And you want someone around the world to give you a number for weights?

Almost every resort will want you to get in the water and change weights till your close to your buoyancy for that set of equipment, and conditions that day. That pre- dive will give the resort people an idea of your skill level. You can show them lots of cards saying what a great diver. . . but the skill you show the dive masters, while setting up your weights, help them determine where you can go that week.

Don't worry, be happy. . . don't sweat the little things.

Tomboyy, When you're wearing a 7mm suit, you are physically displacing water by 7mm x every inch of your body, length and width. . . that is much of your 12 pounds of displacement. Another variable is the salt content where your going. Another consideration is how excited your breathing will be on your first Ocean reef dive. . . And you want someone around the world to give you a number for weights?

Almost every resort will want you to get in the water and change weights till your close to your buoyancy for that set of equipment, and conditions that day. That pre- dive will give the resort people an idea of your skill level. You can show them lots of cards saying what a great diver. . . but the skill you show the dive masters, while setting up your weights, help them determine where you can go that week.

Don't worry, be happy. . . don't sweat the little things.

Mudhole.. While not a seasoned professional... this isn't my first rodeo. I been to Roatan, Belize, and Nassua a couple times. This is the first time with my BP/W.

This also isn't a cozy resort dive. Its a 6-pack dive boat and it has severe time limits. I have 7 hours to get ferried off the ship find the DO get to the boat get out there do 2 dives and come back and get ferried back to the ship ... They WILL leave with out me if I'm late.

I didn't ask someone around the world to tell me how much lead to use. I asked my friends here on Scuba Board if they thought I was on the right track starting with 6#s of lead. I know there will be more weight on board and that I can add it.

The worries I have involve missing the ship, but then again, if I did that I could turn lemons into lemonade and stay in GC one more day and dive some more and fly back to tampa to meet the wife:D

If you are going to be using your SS BP (about 6#) I would expect you will need 0 to 2 lb on the belt.

Congratulations on your upcoming trip to GC. I was there this past November. I typically dive in quarries and use a 7 mm as well. I can relate to the transition. To your question:

There is a difference between salt and fresh water diving in terms of buoyancy and weight requirements. I dive a jacket style BC (when I am with students) and a 7 mm and take about 14-16#'s with me. I also dive a steel tank which makes a HUGE difference. With an AL tank I have to use more.

In GC, the shop I went through used mainly AL 80s. This will also change your weight requirements as mentioned above. The salt water will make you float a great deal more especially if you use AL tanks at home. Ask the shop which tanks they provide prior to going and that will give you a better idea of your weighting needs.

The water in GC can be a little cool as you go deeper. Even at 40-60 feet you will feel a noticeable difference. You might consider taking a 3 mm if you have one or access to one. It can make the difference between a good dive and a great dive if you're comfortably warm. It depends on your tolerance for temperature changes. This will also affect your weighting needs as well as your decision to use full foot fins. If you get cold easily, you may want to stick to your regular fins and booties.

When I was in GC I used a 3 mm, boots, spring strap fins, AL 80, and about 12#'s of weight. I was still a little cool at 80 feet, but I was glad to have my wet suit on.

Is it possible to get into a pool with your tropical gear? If you can test yourself in freshwater, but without the 7mm suit, you'd only have to adjust for the salt water and should be able to get pretty close.

I just did my first ocean dives on a BP/W and was able to test dive at the Y in my 3mm full suit. I was just slightly heavy with the BP/W & weighted STA. Four extra pounds and I was perfect in the ocean at the end of the dive with 500 PSI in an AL80.

I think I'm gonna stick with the dive skin, I have plenty of insulation. I went diving with a skin in Nassua once in June 2007 and was fine and I used a 3mm in the Carribbean in Oct. and Feb. and was warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom