SD960 (6240.96) UWL-100 vs. UWL-165

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robzr

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a SD960 with a 6240.96 housing, and a 9306.81 67mm threaded adapter used with an Inon UWL-100 type 2 lense. This combo is great, it does definitely vignette in 4:3 mode (above & below water), but in HD video mode it manages to just barely crop it out (below water). You can see an example video I shot including video & stills both above & below water to show the vignetting at Canon SD960 + Ikelite Housing + Inon UWL-100 Underwater Test on Vimeo

I have to say, this combo is great, I'm really happy with the high def video quality for a sub $500 setup.

I'm curious, if I went to a UWL-165 with bayonet mount (or even with a 67mm mount, if the UWL-165 is available that way), could I expect more or less vignetting? I think it's right on the border in video mode - which is what I use this setup for.

regards,

Rob

Interesting... so does that mean the UWL-100 Bayonet system would vignette less than the UWL-100 67mm setup? How far closer to the camera does it fit?

Rob

The rear lens element on both lenses is approx. 1/16" from the housing port glass.

There are two relevant issues regarding vignetting with these lenses.

1. The angle of coverage of the camera lens. They normally range from 28mm-38mm (35mm equivalent).
2. The distance of the camera lens from the housing port glass, when the camera lens is set to it's widest angle setting. This will vary with each camera/housing combination because the camera lens "throw" or movement when zoomed in is different based on the camera's optical zoom capability and design.

Vignetting, if it occurs at all, will vary from housing to housing. The UWL-100 67mm lens will normally vignette lens than the UWL-100 Bayonet lens, if at all. This is because the 67mm lens has a larger rear element (36mm), than the bayonet lens (28mm).

Hope that all makes sense.

Regards,

Thanks Brett, that does make sense but I am a little confused. Do you think the UWL-165AD would vignette more or less than the UWL-100 67mm?

regards

Rob

It depends on the variables mentioned in the previous post, but it will likely vignette more. Generally, the bayonet mount lenses will always vignette more than the threaded versions.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom