Crawling outa the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill-da-ho

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So yesterday, went diving with a couple people,, my better half couldnt go because she was gettin her hair fixed up to see how it will look for the wedding. Anyhow, I had a new dive buddy, she put her bc and everything on sitting down, then couldnt stand up.. well, we got her to the water, the dive went O.K. we didnt have any problems, till we started walking out of the lake at the end of the dive. Its very rocky there,, we get to about 3 feet of water, I take my mask off,walk out and up to my truck with my gear on to doff it. Its easier in my opinion to leave it on my back to carry it up. Anyhow, when I get to the truck, the lady is trying to crawl out of the lake,,,she cant support the weight of her equipment I guess, well, in the process of trying to exit this way, she loses a fin. I go down to help her look for it, she tells me its my fault cuz I wasnt there to pick her up when she got to shore???? I explained to her that me and my better half always walk out, and up,, I was looking at my own footing because of the rocky shore. I did not expect her to crawl out of the lake tho, thought she was right behind me.
Shouldnt it be a requirement to be able to support your own gear? I dont mind helping out, donning and doffing the bc and what not, but you should be able to support it?

In my opinion, you're both right....and wrong.

You're right in that yes, you should be able to carry your own gear (barring a physical disability) in AND out of the water.

She's right in that you should have stayed close to your buddy until you return to the truck. Just imagine had she attempted to walk out on the rocky surface, fell, lost her regulator (they were in your mouths, right?), hit her head, and lost consciousness? Far fetched, yes. Impossible, no. You may have heard her fall, but would you have been close enough to keep her from swallowing water (assuming the rocky ground you're describing is below the water-line):no:

Here in Monterey and Carmel, California, lots of the entries require something just short of rock climbing. I can't imagine leaving my buddies to fend for themselves after a long dive. However, ALL my buddies can carry their own gear! :eyebrow:

I'm certain I wouldn't dive with her, again. It sounds like a disaste waiting to happen!

Shouldn't it be a requirement to be able to support your own gear? I dont mind helping out, donning and doffing the bc and what not, but you should be able to support it?

Not really. Would be good if they could, but not a requirement.

Two years ago I dove with a guy with MS. Could barely walk or stand, but in the water the guy was as comfortable as a fish and one of the better divers on that boat.

That said, she should have let you know that she needed help in/out of the water.

And by the way, you did essentially abandon your buddy while she was still in the water. The dive isn't over until you and your buddy are out of the water...even if she was perfectly capable you should have been with her until she was out of the water. At our local quarry I've seen people slip off the platform without mask/reg in place and get in trouble. Even in 3' of water someone could easily trip and drown. Unlikely? Sure. Possible? You bet!

I agree you should always be with your buddy or in sight. On one dive my buddy was quite overweight and heated up fast and insisted on bee-linning to the water. So I was a minute or 2 behinde him and ripped a big chunk of skin off my thumb on this sharp valve that comes with some of the Faber tanks. It was very messy and really needed help patching it up to do the dive. Thankfully a girl in the PL helped me and after 15 mins I was on my way.

So yes always be with your buddy or in sight of your buddy and ready to assist; anything can happen between the water and car.

should != shall

Help out when you can, if for that day your buddy has issues with equipment then lend a hand.

I explained to her that me and my better half always walk out, and up,

This isn't a good attitude to have. You should always be familiar with your buddy and vice versa. Don't assume that everyone does things like your normal buddy - take time to discuss these things pre-dive :)

I was taught (in the 70's) that crawing out of the water in rough surf or slippery rocks at low tide was a legitimate exit strategy that is sometimes needed. It does kinda kill the macho can do super diver image though.

Regarding you buddy, some of these ladies are 1/2 the size of guys like me (or smaller) yet carry much of the same gear. They might need a hand (or not, some are strong for their size), as a buddy, you should be close by anyway. Entry and exit are prime times for buddy assist.

I agree that you should be able to handle your own gear but on the other hand I also believe in the two in two out rule.
Posted via Mobile Device

Help out when you can,
If for that day your buddy has issues with equipment,
Then lend a hand.
I love an answer in verse. :D

I'm going to break with the course of the other responses. While I think the buddy system can be wonderful, I believe in a realistic approach, as death or injury could be the ultimate result. I feel it was unresponsible for your buddy to extend herself beyond her abilities, and expect her buddy to cover her lack of ability. I feel if a buddy has any limitations, they should be made clear at the beginning of a dive (I get vertigo, am sure to let people know). So I think your buddy is diving with unreal expectations. If she needs to be carried, or helped, to and from the water (as I imagine some divers with disabilities do), she should have made that clear at the beginning, and got your OK. That said, of course anybody struggling to get out of the water should be helped.

Back
Top Bottom