Trip Report, Fantasy Island - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TropicalDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a great week in Honduras! Here's the pertinent details...

Water temp around 82 degrees.
Most diving by resort is either dives with coral around 25 to 30 feet deep or so, with wall dives in close proximity - so a 70' dive for start then come back along higher on wall and finish safety stop among coral.

Did manage to dive the Oddessy wreck on the other side of island, but it was done only when requested and seas were calm enough. Wreck site is 2 hr drive (slow and easy drive) by boat around west end and up around island. Starts in around 80' and goes to 110'. Fair to good visabililty. Starting coral growth, but still clean and vertical (as if floating on water instead of bottom) and in one piece. Good dive. Wreck has been there about 6 months and was a planned one. Nice BIG - 5 levels or so - freighter. The BEST part is that there is a table and 4 chairs on the stern side of the boat in around 85' of water - we brought plastic cups, sat down and took a few of what should be very memorable pictures!!

Staff at FI were great! Willie is an instructor there and gave us a specialty course for deep diver. Really competent instructor and felt very safe and secure doing deep dive (bottom sloped down at 135' but didn't seem that deep and there were things to see). Tulio was divemaster and Moses boat driver. Both went the extra mile to ensure that we saw lots of fish and wildlife on the reef. Fresh water, cups, fruit, and dry towels provided on boat with unlimited access to them anytime! Dives were up to expectations, clear water, fish, seahorses, dolphins, lobster, spider crabs, anemone shrimp (purple ones) anemonies, etc. Great diving!

There were some small (1" or so) nonstinging jelllyfish hovering at about 2 to 10' of water to go through on the West end and on the Oddessy, but not much on FI dive sites unless at night dive.

Night dive nothing much, saw one crab, one octopus, one spider crab, one shrimp, sleeping fish...but seas were rough and we did it at the CoCo View wall because boat couldn't go outside breakers.

BUGS were a problem - with 95% deet those suckers still managed to find places to get me! Whenever the wind stops, the mosquitos come out. I think the deet stopped the sand flies/no-see-ums though - no bites from them!!!

FI is renovating their rooms - not really much. Wood floors and some new fixtures, but not what I would call really renovated. Still full air conditioning and nicely appointed rooms though. Water main had broken during our stay and we had a full day and a half of either brown or not much or no water in our rooms, but housekeeping did what they could to provide bottled water for drinking/cleaning when it really was a problem (i.e. no water).

Very honest staff! I left my watch by the showers and my husband left his fins on the boat on separate days. Of course, they were happily either in lost-found or carefully watched over by the dive staff! Nothing was lost- despite what seemed our best efforts to lose these items...

Food was good and plentiful. Lobster night was (always is) on Friday and I had a few! Tons of deserts, fresh ice cream, fruit, etc. always available. Fresh made omlets, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc.. Do stay away from the poached eggs- they were sour. Over all, food was a pleasing experience.

Did you know that FI has its own local soccer team that plays other teams on Roatan? We had a chance to go to a local game and had a great time! Felt very safe among the locals and had a BLAST!

This is a good report and it was over Memorial Day weekend and there were all 5 boats running! (Last Dec there were only 3 boats). There was a big group from TX and a group from Mexico also there. Resort and dive op did well under these high capacity conditions. Dive shop also is bigger and they have separate video rooms, class rooms, etc. and they now offer classes in Rescue, etc. I felt that the staff were really working hard for a good reputation...FI is definitely trying to improve the standard...

TropicalDiver once bubbled...
Just got back from a great week in Honduras! Here's the pertinent details...

Staff at FI were great! Willie is an instructor there and gave us a specialty course for deep diver. Really competent instructor and felt very safe and secure doing deep dive (bottom sloped down at 135' but didn't seem that deep and there were things to see). Tulio was divemaster and Moses boat driver.

This is a good report and it was over Memorial Day weekend and there were all 5 boats running! (Last Dec there were only 3 boats). There was a big group from TX and a group from Mexico also there. Resort and dive op did well under these high capacity conditions.

Glad to see you met willie. Did you know his brother is Darren, one of the DM's? Also, Darren's girlfriend is the girl working at the counter in the dive shop. I too attended a soccer game and watched them play. They won!. I did my deep dive course with willie when I was there as well. In fact, I left on memorial day, monday, and I remember the group from mexico as well as the tx group. Im sure I either met you or saw you while I was there, although alot of new people came in on saturday, and my last day diving was sunday. If your wondering who I am, I was the perfect example of a bug bite victim. In fact, after getting out of the water from a shore dive at the gazebo at night (in a full 3mm wetsuit) I was greeted by a asian woman sitting in the gazebo who referred to me as the guy with all the bug bites. Not quite the way I wanted to be remembered. Anyway, I posted a trip report as well.

We got in on Sunday 5/25 and stayed til 6/1. The Texans got there the day before us. You must have seen the previous week's soccer game cause we saw ours after you left - they won again on that one! There was a guy at the resort who played in college (had just graduated) named Eric who was staying with his girlfriend's family and he got to join in on the game! We called him "gringo amazo" until he left because he was GOOD and played the whole game length! Team pictures, carried on shoulders by team, etc. What fun!!!

We were a group of six on the raised area inside the dining room. Our boat was the Little Kashi. Three couples.

The bugs were tough - and I'm from FLORIDA!!!

Thanks for the trip report. What other areas of the Caribbean would you compare the diving to?

It is mostly wall diving on that side of the island, light current, sandy reef toward shore that is in around 30 or so feet. Other side has more sloped sand, so that was where the wreck was as they don't want to lose it "over" the wall in a storm. Guess kind of like Cozumel, but with less current. Cayman definitely had more variety (walls, wrecks, finger coral, etc.) of diving. Better than Grand Bahamas, Bonaire (all same type dive - no walls of coral) and FL (all coral fingers and wrecks) but not as nice as Cayman area, I guess....

We are looking at a trip in January 2004. Would you go back to FI? We are also looking at Anthonys Ket Resort. Any ideas or comments. I liked the private cabin look at AKR. The rooms at FI look more like a motel setting. Am I seeing this right. Thanks

hey- thought I would pick your brains too- you mentioned the shore diving- is it up to much- worht doing etc?

also is there any shore snorkelling at FI?

thanks for the detailed report BTW

I see Tulio was there as a Divemaster. I dove with him one week at CoCo View. He was nice. I guess he floats around a little, because he was called in as contract Divemaster for the week we were in Roatan to handle our dive group. Had fun, the dives are great on that side of Roatan. Did you dive with the sharks? My wife and I went with these crazy Italians on a shark dive there, and Whoa, it was alot of fun.

Sorry, haven't checked this thread in a while...

You can shore dive from either FI or Cocoview - it is the same area. From either resort, there are ropes/chains that go directly from the gazebo/dive platform setup and you follow them to an airplane, then a wreck (less than 50 ft or so) and then go out to a wall if you choose. Great for either day or night shore dives.

Didn't do a shark dive, but did one before in the Bahamas - very cool to see them and not be worried about being the only one there...

That was the second time we've been at FI. Always had a great time. Would do it again, but want to put in some time between that and other places, so seems fresh again. Doing the next trip to Cayman Brac - our other favorite all-inclusive (BracReef) Dec 6 - 13th. Well worth the trip also. It'll be our third time there - it's MY personal fav...

If you are looking for a great place to go try St. Lucia. It has been several years since our last trip but it was a great spot. The shore diving was great. Thanks for the info on FI. We are thinking of going there instead of AKR after reading some of the reports and getting a better price. We have asked them to put us in one of the cottages away from the main building so we will let you know how that goes. Thanks again for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom