First boat dive this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are doing our first boat dive off the NC coast this weekend, if the weather agrees. We are both getting back into diving after an extended hiatus (18 years for me, 12 for her). We've taken a refresher and the AOW course and will be going with our instructor tis weekend. Other than pre-loading our systems with Dramamine and exchanging our gear bags for mesh duffels, what other considerations do I need to think about?

"Other considerations", as in...

- returning to diving after a long gap... or
- diving off of an NC day-boat?

Which? Or both? Lots of considerations- can you narrow it down a bit?

Don't get on the boat if the you see Ginger & Maryann, and skip it if your loving wife just took out a huge insurance policy. Stuff like that!

More of the boat thing. I'm from Indiana originally - not a whole lot of experience around the ocean.

I'm a new diver, but all 20 of my dives were boat dives. My advice would be not to feel hurried as you are gearing up, especially if there are a lot of people on the boat and everyone is trying to get in as fast as possible. I felt rushed the first time I was on a boat with more than 8 or so people.

If you are diving with the instructor who you are familar with he/she should be outlining exactly what you will need.

What other considerations do I need to think about?

Know that the mates/DMs on the boat most certainly work exclusively for tips that are typically shared among the crew. $5-$10 per dive (per passenger) is a good tip for a friendly, helpful crew. And along with a smile, a heartfelt handshake, and a "thanks for making it a great trip" at the end of the day will be genuinely appreciated.

Tell the DM and deckhands that you may need a little more attention until your regain some confidence. Remind them that you know about the tip jar! They are there to make your dive a good one, trust in that.

The biggest boat thing (for me) while diving: Remember where the anchor line is.

My wife and I are doing our first boat dive off the NC coast this weekend, if the weather agrees. We are both getting back into diving after an extended hiatus (18 years for me, 12 for her). We've taken a refresher and the AOW course and will be going with our instructor tis weekend. Other than pre-loading our systems with Dramamine and exchanging our gear bags for mesh duffels, what other considerations do I need to think about?

You probably have the diving down---never hold your breath, ascend slowly, & don't bust any tables---Only thing I'd do is take a few Sudafed to counteract any sleepiness from the Dramamine...oh, & pray for 'lower' seas...

Don't race to be the first one off the boat, take your time and set your gear up right. Don't sit near the snacks, by doing so you have no personal space to sit down and relax. And don't forget to do the Titanic thing (I feel...like I'm flying) with the missus.

Peace,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom