Wish I could take credit for this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Repost from rec.scuba:

It is my sad duty to report that there was a tragedy at Jellyfish Lake in Palau while we were there for the final dive of our Yap/Palau trip.

As you know, the public is told that the jellyfish are harmless, lacking stinging cells, and swimming amongst them is a unique & wonderful experience. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It seems that the larger jellies, well aware that there will be an ample supply of "food" every day, have turned into carnivores and specifically have developed a taste for human flesh.

During our trip, one unsuspecting diver was singled out by the marauding jellies, was isolated from the group . . . and consumed!!!! This poor guy's buddy could only swim away and shriek in horror.

I wasn't close enough to help either but, since I had my camera handy, managed to take one picture to show the world that these supposedly eyeless, brainless animals are NOT the benign creatures that we've been duped to believe they are.

Look at the picture (link below) and then . . . WARN ALL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!

http://www.reefseekers.com/PIXPAGES/Man-eating_jellyfish.jpg

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.

That's really gross.. not to mention scary!

Kayla:)

What a way to go!

We must act now to fight this threat. Soon those flesh-eating bags of evil will be paddling their sampans, or whatever they use to get around, under the Golden Gate Bridge!

That is NOT a jellyfish eating a man, you lier! That is a mutant jellyfish with human legs!!
You can't fool me...

How long before Michael Bay turns this incident into a summer blockbuster?

Rick Inman once bubbled...
That is NOT a jellyfish eating a man, you lier! That is a mutant jellyfish with human legs!!
You can't fool me...

:D Someone needs to put a coke warning on this or something.

Jellyfish are attracted to bright vibrant colors.

Many divers are aware of this fact and opt for dark colored gear instead of stuff in glaring petunia pink! :wink:

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Jellyfish are attracted to bright vibrant colors.

Many divers are aware of this fact and opt for dark colored gear instead of stuff in glaring petunia pink! :wink:

therefore a DIR diver clad only in Black would be less likely to be attacked by rouge Jellys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom