Residual cyclone damage in Taveuni

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefsong

Reaction score
I'm a bit embarrassed to not have done all my homework before posting to this site, but here goes.

After finally deciding to stay several days beyond our liveabord in October we decided that Taveuni was where we should go to hike the plantations, visit the waterfalls and see all the beautiful lush scenery that Taveuni is well known for. It was only after making that decision to add-on to our trip and go to Taveuni did I learn about Cyclone Ami and the damage that was done to Taveuni.

Is the damage so extensive that it would still be noticeable 9 months later (in October when we were thinking of visiting)? Do the natural "wonders" that Taveuni is known for still exist now and in what form?

Maybe we should just forget the whole thing and just come home after we get off the liveaboard and not try to do any kind of extension at this time (and maybe do an extension next visit).

What do you think?

Nothing to worry about! The rainforest bounces back very quickly. I spent a week and a half on Taveuni this past April and one would never know there had been a cyclone. The trees and all were lush and beautiful.
We were at the Garden Island Resort and saw evidence of their roof repairs (replacement - all completed) but nothing else. Were told there had been some underwater damage to the reef right in front of the resort but didn't try snorkeling there to see for ourselves. The reefs out in the Straits where the diving is escaped any damage.
So go and enjoy.

Thanks annw24 for your quick response!

I'm glad the foliage looks o.k. again. That's reassuring. How about the condition of the roads? We're not sure at this time about modes of transportation, but did the roads look like they were in good enough shape to ride on with bicycles? How about a regular car for touring; were there lots of potholes or washed out roads?

I don't imagine that a lot of damage would be done to the waterfalls and the surrounding hikes, but I'm just guessing. Dirt trails can be wiped out in bad storms. Did the nature preserves, waterfalls and plantations fare well?

And are you aware of any particular resorts or hotels that were hit hard? Last year we saw hurricane damage (same as cyclone) to many parts of one of our favorite Caribbean destinations, Saba, and at least one very popular resort was totally destroyed, the shell of it still sitting there to rot in the sun as cleanup and demolition can be very expensive and hard to undertake on the islands.

Thanks again, annw24! I hope you'll answer this post as well.

I was on neighboring Matangi island and did the Bouma Forest & waterfalls hike back in early May and all was well there. You're better off on Taveuni as far as the diving, because the best diving is in the Somosomo straits and you've got easy access to that area. I saw a lot of reef damage at shallower depths around Matangi, but as far as the islands topside, everything is lush and beautiful.

Sorry, Reefsong, but I can't help too much with your questions about roads & trails. My hiking days are in the past (for several reasons). The main road along the west side of Taveuni was in fair shape - for Fiji. Bridges were intact, although I have heard of one collapsing since I've returned. It had apparently been weakened previously, but, typically, no repair work was considered until it went out completely. I'm sure it's fixed by now - probably better than ever.
There were people going out on side trips from the resort I stayed at and I didn't hear any negative stories.

Thanks annw24 for your response and also to you Iragsac. Based on what everyone is currently saying maybe we will be taking that Taveuni side trip after all.

Your comments have been very helpful! Thanks again.

Hi Reefsong,

Ditto annw24. ((Hey Ann--this has to be the Ann of Ann and Ron, am I right?! If so, a big howdy from me, Peter, here in Florida!)) Also spent time at the Garden Island on Taveuni in April. The vegetation was lush and thick during my stay, though some signs of damage were evident, mostly in the form of snapped-off branches and split tree trunks. The island is beautiful and has plenty of breathtaking views and verdant hiking opportunities. If you've got a *lot* of time to kill, you may want to check out my trip report at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26957&highlight=fiji+trip+report
Don't forget to dive there too, if you can. AquaTrek's a great op.

Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom