Which BCD Would You Get Oceanic, SeaQuest Or Sherwood ?

Which BCD Is Better?

• Oceanic Probe With QLR

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Genesis Phantom

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • SeaQuest Pro QD

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Sherwood Avid

Votes: 31 29.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
I recently finished my OW certification and are looking for a good BCD to buy and wanted to see which BCD would you recommend out of these and why?

Oceanic Probe With QLR
Genesis Phantom
SeaQuest Pro QD
Sherwood Avid

Thanks.

Well......it really is a personal type of choice. I went with the Seaquest Pro QD and I like it. I would like to have tried a bp and wing...but there wasnt one to try and i wasnt going to sink the money into an unknown item.

A lot of people might tell you to stay away from the velcro and the integrated air source on the Seaquest....but i have found if you clean properly the velcro it is better than the newer snap in weight pockets....just my opinion....and i like the integrated air source because it allows me to have my pony bottle and still one less reg in the way.

good luck on your choice....it is not fun making that decision i know....

RICHinNC once bubbled...
Well......it really is a personal type of choice. I went with the Seaquest Pro QD and I like it.

A lot of people might tell you to stay away from the velcro ...on the Seaquest....but i have found if you clean properly the velcro it is better than the newer snap in weight pockets....just my opinion
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in preference for the velcro over the sure-loc system.

I am also a satisifed user of the Seaquest Pro QD, but there are many good BCs out there, and the one that fits and feels right on you is the best, provided it has whatever other features you want.

Pay close attention to BCs that you rent, and be sure to write down the exact model type and size if you find one you like.

Charlie

The SeaQuest Pro QD is a very comfortable jacket style BC. If you have a short torso it could be a problem, but if not, it is very comfortable to dive.

I am a very satisfied owner of a Pro QD+ with Velcro. Since I dive exclusively in tropical waters, the velcro pockets have been quite fine after about 50 dives. I have never had an unintended release or ever had a problem. Sure-Lock is a great idea though. I am sure you can get a very good deal from Leisure Pro on the velcro model. Again this is a very personal choice so it will vary depending on needs. I too considered all those units you mentioned.

I recently finished my OW course and bought a Sherwood Avid. So far the BC has has worked great and there is no squeeze on your body what so ever. The CQR buckle system is a very nice feature on the weights.

Oceanic BCs. I don't sell them or work for a shop, but my Oceanic II is plain awesome.

hey charlie99....yep...i tried both and liked the velcro the best. Had an unintentional release ...in the pool thank heavens...off the sure lock....it wasnt too sure that day.

The very first bcd i tried was a genesis..which is as good a brand as any other and better than some....but i could not control my vertical descent and never felt "solid" wearing it. I tried the Seaquest and it was as different as night and day.... FOR ME !!

I still say try as many as you can....and dont be afraid to go to different lds' to find what suits you the best.

Get the one that fits best.

I just purchased the new Patriot - which is a knockoff of their Seaquest Raider - very nice for the money - check it out:
Aqualung Patriot - click here

But if I was looking for a non-rear inflate I would likely go with the IDI Nekton ove the Pro QD:
IDI Nekton Ballistic - click here

For that matter if I went for a more technical rig than my Patriot - I would probably go with the IDI Advantage - one of 3 recommended by the US Military (the other is the Ranger - however the Ranger is almost $200 more).

Will keep you posted on Patriot but it is very well-made with a lot of nice functionality - the only downside is less D-rings than some of the more technical.

Curtis:eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom