Secret of wreck location!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bburville

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
AMAZING TECHNOLOGY!
As all serious wreck detectives will know research is key to locating new and exciting potential wreck dives.
However, this bit of kit from StarFish Seabed Imaging System - Digital CHIRP Side Scan Sonar Systems can make a BIG difference!
I was recently able to trial a Starfish sonar off the North East coast and test how it performed - I will try to provide a brief summary below:
The kit is remarkably small! I studied Oceanography and Marine biology at Southampton University in the early 1990s and used side scan sonar there. The tow "fish" then was more like a huge naval torpedo and you needed two people (preferably buillt like shot putters!) to launch it! The image quality was inferior to the Starfish!
The Starfish side scan sonar comes in a Peli case and can be carried in one hand!
008.JPG

Setting it up:
It needs power and the easiest way to provide this is a 12V car (or marine) battery. In the case is an arrangement of power leads and I used the "crocodile clips" one that simply attaches to the positive and negative terminals of the battery - simple. The power lead plugs into the "gizmo" box (about the size of paperback book) and an LED light confirms you have power to activate the sonar fish.
The "fish" itself (ie the thing you tow) is about a foot long and remarkably the power cable and feedback cable doubles as the towing cable! It's about 20m long and a very strong plastic coated cable. One end is fixed to the fish whilst the other end attaches to the "gizmo" box with a simple connection. To secure the cable when towing it can easily be wrapped a couple of times around a large round cleat or similar. (avoiding any tight turns in the cable) - or you can use a soft rope (eg climbing rope) or webbing and tie that off to the boat and around the cable... I did both as I didn't want to risk losing it!!
013.JPG

The only other thing needed is a laptop computer.
This sounds a pain but in fact was very easy to set up (the software can be downloaded from Software Downloads - StarFish Seabed Imaging System - Side Scan Sonar Towfish) and is very straight forward.
A USB lead from the "Gizmo" box plugs into the laptop and off you go it's scanning the seabed as soon as you lower the fish into the water over the back of the boat. (Wait till the boat is moving slowly forward at 1-3knts)
005.JPG

The images provided detail 50m either side of the boat at a depth of 25-30m.
Metal shows up white (as it reflects the sonar waves) and different densities give different shades of colour. Objects proud of the seabed leave a shadow which can also be seen. (check images on gallery here>> StarFish Gallery - Side Scan Sonar Seabed Image GalleryWith a bit of practice the images can be understood quite quickly.
Only downside for me was the battery life of the laptop which curtailed the adventure!
Obviously with a laptop and "Gizmo" box you want to search on a dry day and preferably with calm conditions.
Images are divided into port (left of boat) and starboard (right of boat) as it moves forward - the image below shows wreckage of the Somali to the port side of the boat. (defined white edged shapes)
Somali+main+wreck+1.png

I used the Starfish over the SS Somali where it helped pin point the location where the solid brass fire extinguishers
011.JPG
are located(!) and it provided some very interesting images (despite pretty windy weather and surface swell).
In summary there are many undiscovered wrecks out there and this bit of kit puts the latest side scan sonar technology into the budget of many clubs (the kit could also be hired for a specific project/ expedition).
Safe diving,
Ben "Seal diver"
YouTube - bburville's Channel

Wow ! This looks like a killer system. If the images are even close to res of the add images it is a hot item. If you have ever worked w/ side-scan sonars you know what a big deal this is. Over the years I have worked w/ Oceanographic and Military systems and always wanted a portable system. I havnt looked at the specs thoroughly but if you can integrate fish position w/ gps like survey systems do then you have double killer unit here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom