Palau undercurrent close call...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mars2u

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just as an FYI...we learn and hopefully we live. You can see pics of the typhoon conditions (later turned into typhoon Chen) that we encountered on my web site.

On the second day it was decided that we dive the "Buoy #6 wreck" which is a WWII sub chaser that was sunk located in the Molarei channel.

Water temperature 84°F/29°C Visibility 20ft/7m at best

Air temperature 84°F/29°C

Dive time: 19 minutes

We had our dive briefing before the dive as usual and had discussed the dive. I was paired up with Kristen who was with her parents Doug and Deb on our trip. We took the chaseboats out to the site and began our descent together. As we descended lower and lower I noticed that those ahead of me were moving at an awfully quick pace. The visibility was poor anyway and it was difficult to discern the divers from one another. I tried to concentrate on Kristen since she was wearing a blue bandanna on this dive as was I. The current got quicker...I'm at 77 ft. Approaching the wreck...there's Kristen just behind me... oh no...the current is picking up, it's racing...I just passed the wreck in about 3 seconds...but it's supposedly 100 ft. long. TURN DAMIR TURN!!! I'm kicking, against the current, I can't see Kristen...damn. Everyone is scrambling. Trying to get control but the current is too strong. Couples are grabbing ahold of each other at various pieces of their gear trying to keep together. Some are just blown in different directions in a split second while others are holding onto each other to keep from getting seperated in the pea soup of Palau. I look to my left and Lee is kicking like a madman....then SLAM!!! I just took out a 3 ft. piece of a coral fan...I'm tumbling and I realize another BIG coral rock is approaching fast...I need to keep an eye out for what's coming at me since my finning against the current is not doing much. I look around, I'm alone, I see a patch of sand and I'm about 10 feet from the bottom. I kick as hard as I can and dig my knife into the sand. DIG DAMN IT DIG!!! The knife is cutting through the sand bottom like melted butter leaving a 10 ft. trail, I try again using my left hand also to dig with my fingers in the sand...it's not catching, finally and after the 3rd attempt I finally stop and am holding on with both hands on my knife. I'm reflecting for what seems like a while trying to catch my breath and slow down my breathing. I'm thinking about Kristen, how her Mom and Dad are doing...(probably having the dive of their life and wanting to kill me for losing their daughter). I'm staring at the sand bewildered and trying to figure out where to look for Kristen, all the while looking around for any sign of my group. I realize I taste alot of water in my mouth...oh no my reg is getting flooded from the current. I look up and there's Andre (the dive master) with Kristen next to him...thank God, at least he's been watching her. I'm finally resting and catching my breath when he signals me to come up to them.

I release, store my knife, but the current has already whisked them away and I can't even see their shadows. I adjust my venturi...still sucking water on my Legend LX. Damn...I'm beat and I look at my watch to realize were only 15 minutes into the dive and it has just seemed like it's rushed by. I look around and there's nothing...it's pea soup and the visibility is getting even worse now. I'm still moving at an extremely quick pace and decide to abort the dive (about time). I'm at about 15 feet when I see Gat (the other Dive Master) kicking like a madman and approaching me from behind. He looks at me and crosses his hands in a "X" symbol telling me to abort the dive. I'm thinking..."Already there Gat, 1 minute left on the safety stop", sausage deployed, and give him the O.K. He then leaves and kicks across the current hoping to find someone else. I again am all alone. I finish my safety stop and as I'm surfacing think to myself...I hope no one got hurt or worse...

At the surface I look around and I see some heads bobbing about 200 meters at my 7 o'clock... another couple of heads about 100 meters at my 9 o'clock. "God, I hope Kristen is O.K." The chaseboat comes around and it's the other groups (we were split into 2 dive groups). I signal the operator that I'm O.K. and he drives off to look for anyone in trouble. My boat comes to get me and there's Pam and Dave (another couple)...Pam's shook up...really bad.

She begins to give her account of the events and says that at one point her computer showed 24 feet (if memory serves me) and the next second shot down to 56 ft. One word pops into my mind... undercurrent. It was so bad that the bubbles were whipping around them and she kept looking down thinking that someone was beneath them. After reviewing my dive computer...she was right. My entire dive profile was strewn with fast ascent warning's as we were getting shot up and down.

Andre (the divemaster) probably got it worst. It seems that he was approaching the back of the wreck and was trying to go above it when the current slammed him down causing multiple scrapes over his legs. He was hurting for a while. Thank God it wasn't fire coral.

After getting back on the Big Blue, we all reflected and we still had a night dive to go. A handful (I believe 5) including myself, Kristen and her Dad decided to go. We decided to do the "Helmet Wreck" which was right next to the Big Blue. I had to get the monkey off my back although I was still a little shaken.

I still feel guilty about losing my dive buddy Kristen. She and her parents as well as the others assured me there was nothing I could do and in retrospect they are probably right. However, I am the type of diver that likes to sit back in the pack and enjoy my dive as well as keep an eye out for everyone. It's just my nature.

In retrospect, yes the trip could have been much better and there were some hairy moments, but we still got to see things we've never seen before. I think we are all much better divers for the experience and maybe even better people. I know I made some close friends.

shellbird once bubbled...
Thanks for sharing that story. How was the night dive?

The night dive was fine. Saw some gas masks on the wreck, shells, rifle, saki bottle and a large pot. I'll admit I was a little bit anxious, but the dive is very near the port.

Wow.

I was on the Wilkes-Barre off Key West on Sunday and we had a prety heavy current but not like that.

We could swim against it for short bursts by going all out. Then rest a bit by hanging onto the wreck before repeating :rolleyes:

Once we got over the side and into the lee of the wreck the dive wasn't too bad after that.

The ascent was prety much just "OK" the line and let current and bouyancy do the work for you. :wink:

great story, you told it so vividly that one could make a movie very easily. Glad to hear everyone was more or less ok. I'll bet that if you were expecting the current it would have been fun, kind of an oceanic water slide! :D

My wife and I were diving out of Hurgada, Egypt in the Red Sea. We were on a day boat and diving off some sand islands miles off shore. The dive plan was everyone try to get in the water and descend together. We were told there would be a current that would wisk us along the reef over some hugh gregorian coral formations. .......they were right about the current but at first they were wrong about the direction. As my wife and I descended the current forced us down immediately, from the surface within seconds we realized we were approaching 100ft., we tried to compensate by swimming up but to no avail, then getting desparate we inflated our BC's. With the inflation and hard swimming we were beating the current, we hit 120ft. at the bottom of our resistance and it was a real trick to deflate as we rose and then the current changed direction. The current then took us to the coral formations where we were to enter a section of the wall where we would be out of the current and we would finish our dive and saftey stop. The rest of the dive went according to plan, but when incidents like these happen it's unforgettible. :eek: I can relate to your desparation Mars2u

Dive safe,
Caymaniac:boom:

scuberd once bubbled...
great story, you told it so vividly that one could make a movie very easily. Glad to hear everyone was more or less ok. I'll bet that if you were expecting the current it would have been fun, kind of an oceanic water slide! :D

Thanks for the compliment. I think things would have been much better had the visibility been better. We could barely see 20 ft. and with the current as strong as it was it made this dive dangerous.
I've done "strong" current dives in Coz. and did a dive in Oahu with a pretty strong swill but NOTHING compared to this. We didn't dive Blue Corner this trip because of the current issue which btw took the life of a girl two weeks ago when she was hooked into the reef and her reg. flooded with water because of the current intensity.

mars2u once bubbled...

Thanks for the compliment. I think things would have been much better had the visibility been better. We could barely see 20 ft. and with the current as strong as it was it made this dive dangerous.
I've done "strong" current dives in Coz. and did a dive in Oahu with a pretty strong swill but NOTHING compared to this. We didn't dive Blue Corner this trip because of the current issue which btw took the life of a girl two weeks ago when she was hooked into the reef and her reg. flooded with water because of the current intensity.

The girl that died-this was just 2 weeks ago? The reason I ask is because of an incident very similar to this a couple of months ago.

Great post...thanks for sharing!

Nurseshark and I had a minor current incident a few weeks back, they certainly make you realize how powerful the ocean really is.

I'm glad to hear that you are safe...what a cool dive location! I'd love to go there...how long did you stay?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom