B/P Halcyon or Zeagle Tec Pac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverUp

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on a new BC purchace between the Zeagle Tec Pac and a B/P Halcyon. Does anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of either or both? ANY advice will be appreciated, thanks.

zeagle makes excellent bc's but I would prefer a bp/wing. A bp/ wing setup has less junk on it and you configure it to your needs. with the zeagle you are limited to the design. bp/wing you can change out bladders with the zeagle you are stuck with one. both are built to be bullet proof but i think overall the bp wings would win out. You dont need to buy halcyon either, try dive rite, oms or aul.

Thanks for the input, but I thought the Zeagles bladders could be swapped out also.

I didn't see a Zeagle Tec Pac...is this what you mean?

Zeagle BP

It is a version of the BP/Wing. Couple quick differences I can see for what they are worth.

Zeagle...not a 1 piece harness, has chest straps, crotch strap has a quick release, buckle looks like it's plastic.

I have never actually seen one in person. A back plate is a back plate more or less. The harness is what is different here. The Zeagle wings all seem to be interchangeable.

Hope this helps a bit.

The Tech Pac I am referring to can be seen here , though not a true B/P, it does look flexible and functional to me. What do you all think?

diverUp once bubbled...
The Tech Pac I am referring to can be seen here , though not a true B/P, it does look flexible and functional to me. What do you all think?

Too bulky, too expensive, too limiting in adjustability, too much trouble with the weight system, too many D-rings, too much lift for a single tank...in a word...overkill.

I truly think if you are interested in eventually persuing the tech diving route that a BP/wings set-up by almost any manufacturer would be a more adaptable, simpler and less expensive option. You will not find many positive reviews of any of the "tech" BCD's here.

Thanks for your info and advice. I will get the B/P Halcyon! I guess I was hopeing I could get away with the ease of adjustability with the Zeagle with ALL the benefits of a true B/P.

Thanks again for the input.

The Tech Pac has the PFS sizing system. Means two things:
1. The torso & shoulder harness can be different sizes
2. Different bladders can be fitted. Standard is the single 65lbs. bladder.
Available are: 24lbs., 35lbs., 44lbs., single bladders, as well as 55lbs. and 85lbs. double bladders. Somebody call that limited ?

Unlike the Tech BC, Ranger BC etc., the Tec Pac has neither integrated weight pockets nor any other pockets standard. Doesn't come with a cummerband either. Twin crotch straps and a webbing buckle are standard, though.
Zeagle has a bunch of different pockets/sizes available, and just about anything (like DiveRite's or Halcyon's weight pockets) made for 2 in. webbing will fit.

It does have, however, a sternum strap and buckles at the soulder straps. Those are available on Zeagle, DiveRite or OMS steel/alu plates if you want them. On Halcyon's DIR set-up they're not used as they're considered possible failure points (all of the above mentioned manufacturers offer DIR continious webbing, too).

The main difference is probably the semi-rigid back vs. solid backplate. That should depend on the dives you do. Mostly doubles, solid plate is really better. But it's a personal preference.

If you want a BP and you want zeagle

Then why not get This I am diving one at the moment at i can say it ROCKS.

bwerb
Zeagle hava a 1 piece Harness

Click on the link below for pics of mine

I scrolled down both pages a little further...(and I learned to read slower)hahaha!

Sorry...I didn't see the Zeagle BP with one piece harness the first time. This one looks really nice...I would replace the plastic buckle.

I still think the Tec Pac is total overkill for a recreational diver. Yes you can change the wings but the overall off-the-shelf configuration is way too much. Glad to see the weight pockets are just an add-on and not standard...the regular zipcord system appears way more complicated than it needs to be. Although you can order different sized harnesses, they are all slide adjust (pull here on plastic D-ring to tighten). Again, the webbing buckle is plastic.

If someone does want to really go down the technical road, I think they would most likely be happier in the long-run with a simple BP/Wings from whatever manufacturer. Infinitely more adjustable in it's stock configuration with nothing more to buy. Just select the wing size to start and away you go with a 100% custom fit harness which will take you from OW to as far as you want to go.

Back
Top Bottom