Florida Collecting Broward Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveman05

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, i live in Boca but go to the ft. lauderdale area all the time as well and just have a little 15 gallon tank that i would like to maybe go out and collect a few little gobies and such with. Where would be a good place to do this in broward/palm beach county, i am getting my fishing license before hand, and also how about the ricordia, i thought a few pieces of nice ricorida would be nice, i have read the regs. and didn't see anything in there really about them but i don't want to take them if i cant

Are you setting up a marine aquarium? 15 gallons will be real tough to take care of. There's a whole science to saltwater aquariums so do a little research on that if you haven't already.

Are you setting up a marine aquarium? 15 gallons will be real tough to take care of. There's a whole science to saltwater aquariums so do a little research on that if you haven't already.

Yeah i'm setting up my nano, i use to run a saltwater shop in Michigan then moved down here and manage some saltwater depts. at a few local pet shops here and i'm just wanting to get my own stuff instead of from collectors, i think it'd be a lot cooler!

my nano was a bitch to get set up. After over a year im finally starting to not have problems with it. You might have better luck than i did but im only able to keep 1-3 fish in mine or i have problems. It also seems like it would be hard to aclimate a fish that comes straight from the natural water. Good luck. If the fish make it it will be cool!

Yeah i'm setting up my nano, i use to run a saltwater shop in Michigan then moved down here and manage some saltwater depts. at a few local pet shops here and i'm just wanting to get my own stuff instead of from collectors, i think it'd be a lot cooler!

Yup! I agree, it'd be way cooler to collect your own stuff. I'm new to the saltwater aquarium thing having my 150g only about a month or so. I'd at least like to collect some snails out in the wild. I hear they're all over the jetties and stuff in S. Florida.

FWC Saltwater Fishing Regulations - Recreational Harvest of Marine Species

I have collected a few fish, some snails, hermits, and various macro-algae for my 140 gal...

Some places are restricted for collection like state parks and such......

I recommend a good bubbler, I use a black bucket (I hear this calms fish down= less stress)(beware of the heat), and I just acclimated everything the same as I would if I bought it at a store. nice and slow.....all is well.

Last edited:
diveman05 ricordea's are listed by scientific classification. (corallimorphs) first on the fwc list.
Corallimorphs and Zoanthids: No more than 5 single polyps of each may be landed per person per day, must be harvested with a flexible blade no wider than 2" such as a putty knife, razor blade, or paint scraper.

Check you tube as well for removing the ricordea from rock and cutting them for frags.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom