PDA

View Full Version : Suunto computer reading wrong depth

Braunbehrens
June 5th, 2003, 12:04 PM
I keep hearing about small Suunto's reading the wrong depth. The larger one's don't seem to have that problem.

I'm just curious how many people have had this problem.

By small I mean the D3, the Stinger and the Mosquito. The Vyper and Vytec, Cobra and Favor don't seem to have this problem.

My Stinger malfunctioned twice like this, and I had it repaired each time. Now I don't trust it anymore. It read 140 fsw on the surface!

Charlie99
June 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Braunbehrens once bubbled...
I keep hearing about small Suunto's reading the wrong depth. The larger one's don't seem to have that problem.Is the access hole for the strain gauge covered or protected in some way so that the salt water doesn't get rinsed out when you rinse your gear?

That doesn't usually cause gross errors (like your 140' on the surface) but can cause the more insidious "reads 50' when depth is really 60' " sort of problem. A long soak in 100F water will fix the problem if it is just salt crystals on the sensor.

Charlie

jamiei
June 5th, 2003, 03:29 PM
I talked to a guy in key largo (in a small discount dive shop) the other day that said he had trouble with his stinger. he said he caused an error code and locked it up and it now won't go into dive mode. I asked why he hadn't sent it back to suunto and he said he would eventually... Things happen, but suunto seems to be pretty good at taking care of them for you. I believe a lot of these problems could possibly be due to lack of maintenance. Also, it seems to me that since a lot of people wear their mosquitos all the time as watches that they probably withstand a lot more wear,tear, bumps, and dings than the other models. If your computer spends more time above than below, salt isn't all that can work its way into them. I'm sure a lot of people really take care of their computers, but i'm sure even more never think about their care until something goes wrong with them.

I would be interested to hear what suunto has had to say about alot of these computers that have been returned with such problems.

chrpai
June 5th, 2003, 04:15 PM
I always use my computer and my depth guage. I check them during the dive to make sure they say the same. If one is wrong I check my buddies to see which one is probably correct.

My mosquito flooded after a year and a half and Suunto replaced it no questions asked. Other then that I never had any problems with it.

TwoBitTxn
June 5th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I am a guilty party of wearing my mosquito full time. Yes, it does get beaten on a little. I have had two go bad on me.

My first one I got almost a year out of before it went to 75 feet after it got wet when I washed my hands. I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they game me another one.

That one I took it diving once and it hung up at 35 feet. I hit the surface and it was still at 35 feet. I took that one back and I now have my third. So far its been ok. If this one dies on me, I'll take it back and use shop credit to get something else. I'll buy a watch to wear full time.

Three year warranty is a long time considering my record with them.

TwoBit

jamiei
June 5th, 2003, 06:20 PM
you guys ever notice how tight you're wearing these watches? Seems if they are really tight, it could possibly affect the depth reading.

chrpai
June 5th, 2003, 07:54 PM
I would imagine wetsuit compression would solve that problem.

jamiei
June 5th, 2003, 08:35 PM
yes, at depth, but they expand as you ascend, when this problem is accuring and not everyone wears wetsuits all the time either. The expansion of wetsuits as you descend could cause problems possibly I guess also... There has to be some reason. I lean more towards poor care of the dive computer or water intrusion into the main computer circuit or the depth sensor.

ReefGuy
June 6th, 2003, 06:39 PM
I'm on my THIRD mosquito since February. Nineteen dives after I bought it, my mosquito went to 16' (in my computer room, no less) and wouldn't change.

Sent it in, and 3 weeks later, they sent a brand new one. Unfortunately, the backlight on this one was bad. Took it back the next day.

Waiting on my third. If ANYTHINGs wrong with this one, I'm getting my money back.

Laser
June 7th, 2003, 10:02 AM
My Vyper doesn't seem to have a depth problem, but I'm thinking that the temp reads a couple degrees high.

wetman
June 7th, 2003, 10:49 AM
My stinger pretty much matched my old cobra within a foot.

steve

jamiei
June 7th, 2003, 11:34 AM
seems as though any wrist mount will have trouble accurately reading the water temp due to body heat in such close proximity.

diverbrian
June 7th, 2003, 04:28 PM
My stinger pretty much matched my old cobra within a foot.

Actually, my wrist mounted is nearly always a foot lower. My Cobra is clipped to my chest D-Ring and(if I am swimming right) should never be near the dirt. My wrist mounted is attached the hand that reaches into places to tie things off, picks up cans and such off the bottom, etc. Sometimes it actually gets near the bottom. But if it is by more than a foot, I know that I went vertical someplace where I shouldn't have. But, I know, I am just stating the obvious.:)

For the most part, barring a complete malfunction (which I have mentioned in other posts), I have never had a problem with the depth gauge on the Suunto computers.

vodolaz
June 8th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Noticed yesterday that my D3 read up to 4' less than my old oceanic at depth (93' vs. 97').

dnhill
June 8th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Last trip to Cozumel, on first dive at 60 ft bottom the Mosquito was reading 110. On surfacing, it still read 50 fsw. When we got back to the room, I reset by taking out the battery. It worked fine after that.
dnhill

LUBOLD8431
June 8th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Yeah, we have had two Mosquito's and one Stinger that we have sent back that is in dive mode at the surface...

AT surface, displays 40' or something, and is still calculating the dive...

We sent them back, and they replaced them... However, I have a Stinger, with over 100 dives on it, and its never done that to me. My Stinger is always within a foot of my cobra (thats just because the cobra is clipped off a little lower than the Stinger on my wrist) duh...

But, anyways, I think I am going with a VYper for my backup gauge from now on... Stinger will be relegated for tropical diving only...

Rick Murchison
June 8th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Had a depth reading problem with a Cobra when it was new. Sent it back to SUUNTO who claimed they found no problem and also claimed they didn't fix it - but it's never been off again after it came back.
Rick

Braunbehrens
June 8th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Looks like a lot of people have problems with the small suunto's according to this poll. 1/3 of people who own a small one have had a problem.

In comparison, only 1/14th of the people with the large suunto's have this problem.

I like the small suunto's they are really cool....but IMO they are unreliable.

Lemonade
June 9th, 2003, 04:04 PM
A friend's Vytec went haywire during a dive. Still was indicating ~90ft on surface afterwards...

jiveturkey
June 10th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Looks like a lot of people have problems with the small suunto's according to this poll. 1/3 of people who own a small one have had a problem.

In comparison, only 1/14th of the people with the large suunto's have this problem.

I like the small suunto's they are really cool....but IMO they are unreliable.

Maybe...but I wouldn't blanket them all as bad. Anyone who has had a problem with their comp and noticed this thread is going to comment. I'm sure the numbers of people who didn't have any problems but didn't post are much higher.

Epinephelus
June 10th, 2003, 09:49 AM
jiveturkey once bubbled...
Maybe...but I wouldn't blanket them all as bad. Anyone who has had a problem with their comp and noticed this thread is going to comment. I'm sure the numbers of people who didn't have any problems but didn't post are much higher.
In the two cases of SUUNTO computers lying about depth (one Cobra and one Vyper) that I personally know about, both were reading 4' - 8' shallow when they screwed up. There didn't seem to be any reason or common thread in the dive profiles - the error was present on about 4 dives in 50 for each of these computers before they were sent to
SUUNTO. (one of these was Rick's he mentioned earlier, the other belonged to a DiveCon) SUUNTO never admitteed there was anything wrong with these computers and claimed they were only tested and not fixed while there, but neither of them has had the error since, and both have hundreds of dives on them now.
My point is that the average recreational diver isn't likely to notice a 4' error that only happens occasionally, so I wonder how many SUUNTO's are out there with this error - and while 4' doesn't sound like much, it could hurt you easily on a decompression dive.
E.

jamiei
June 10th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Actually, everyone that has had a problem has had their dc reading deeper than they actually were, right? This wouldn't really hurt you on a decompression dive, it would make it more conservative in theory anyway....

Epinephelus
June 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM
jamiei once bubbled...
Actually, everyone that has had a problem has had their dc reading deeper than they actually were, right? This wouldn't really hurt you on a decompression dive, it would make it more conservative in theory anyway....
No, in the two cases I know of, both computers were reading shallow. Very bad potential.
Also, reading deep can be very bad as well as it can cause you to bust a mandatory deco stop depth.
IOW, inaccuracies of just a few feet - especially close to the surface, are unacceptable and dangerous.
E.

Braunbehrens
June 10th, 2003, 01:08 PM
The reason I started this thread is that I have actually talked to half a dozen people who have had problems with their Stingers.

A few feet can be dangerous for deco, up OR down. 5 ft is probably not that big of a deal, but 10 ft is a huge problem. You'll either TOX or get bent.

Even for recreational diving 10 ft is a lot. 10 feet deeper for the whole dive really changes things if you are close to the limit.

norcaldiver
July 14th, 2003, 11:45 PM
This si the 1st I've heard about this. I have the Mosquito and a Cobra. I use the Mos as a backup/quick reference about half the time and so far it's been dead on with the cobra. How's the old saying go? If we're all wrong, we're alright?

CuriousMe
July 15th, 2003, 12:20 AM
LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Yeah, we have had two Mosquito's and one Stinger that we have sent back that is in dive mode at the surface...

AT surface, displays 40' or something, and is still calculating the dive...

We sent them back, and they replaced them... However, I have a Stinger, with over 100 dives on it, and its never done that to me. My Stinger is always within a foot of my cobra (thats just because the cobra is clipped off a little lower than the Stinger on my wrist) duh...

But, anyways, I think I am going with a VYper for my backup gauge from now on... Stinger will be relegated for tropical diving only...

I just sent my Mos off for the second time. I dive with both a Mosquito and a Cobra (a little weird I know, but I like redundancy), last month my Mosquito started acting like I had ended my dive (flashing between SI and no fly time)....unfortunately I was at 60 feet at the time. When I got to the boat, I did another battery check (I check it before each dive) and it showed three bars (as it did before the dive)...so I called the place up in IL and they said to send it in. When I spoke with the woman who worked on it...she informed me that I'm supposed to check the battery before I dive (DUH!). She said that when she looked at it, it only had one battery bar left. When I mentioned that it had three when I saw it last....she said that as soon as it went to four I should replace the battery (DOH!). I didn't like that answer much (if it's true, it's not her fault but a design flaw) I feel like if the things got 5 battery bars....I shouldn't have to change the thing at the first bar...anyway, she said that it acted wonky because it wasn't getting enough power from the battery. She did a chamber test with it and two other comps and she said it was fine.

So, I'm on a weeks vacation diving in Catalina, and two days into it...the same thing happens....check my battery when I'm on the boat deck and the battery is at 5 bars. I called IL back and they said send it in again....so I did. The folks in IL have been great and the guy I spoke with said that they'd probably end up sending me another computer.

I've had this just over a year, with probably about 75 dives on it....before last month, I had no problems with it at all and I've had no problems with my Cobra. Usually my two computers are just about the same as far as depth.

Peace,
Cathie

Gilligan
July 15th, 2003, 01:31 AM
My Suunto cobra crapped out after only 3 months. It gave me depth readings that were 15 feet less than the true depth. The resulting data would have put me in deco on the 90 foot dive my gf and I were on at the time. LeisurePro replaced it within days of getting my defective one back. I am waiting to see how the new one holds up. At this point I am not at all impressed with this product.

walt williams
July 28th, 2003, 12:20 PM
It sounds like there are a fair number of folks who have had to return their computers for service. Manufacturers generally say the warranty is void if the equipment is not purchased from an authorized dealer.

How are those of you who have NOT bought from dealers getting service? Or, are the mfr's just blowing smoke?

tinman694
August 8th, 2003, 11:22 AM
My wife has a Favor, and I use a Vyper...have not had any problems--Although we both do notice the temps do read a bit high...

Gilligan
August 9th, 2003, 12:19 AM
I have 15 dives on my Cobra (new warranty replacement one) so far. All is working except the water temp is reading 3 degrees high. For the money this product costs I expect it to be accurate. Personally, I would not buy this product again.
:shades:

blackice
August 9th, 2003, 12:23 AM
I personally have a Stinger that has done 50 doves and my wife has teh mosquito and it's been happy doing about 30 dives. No problems with either.

Last year I used a Viper for 50+ dives with no problems.

Corvette
August 17th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I purchased a Suunto Cobra in mid July 2003. My first 3 or 4 dives, the depth readings were fine. On my next several dives, the Cobra gave me problems. On one dive, I was at 20 feet, and the Cobra read 3-4 feet; the next dive, the depth was accurate; on the subsequent dive, I was at 25 feet, and the Cobra read 8 feet. I returned the Cobra to the dive shop for repair; however, since I had purchased the Cobra only three weeks prior, the dive shop gave me a new one. As of August 16th, I have done 4 dives with the new Cobra, and thus far, I have not experienced any problems with depth readings.

Ari
August 17th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Never had such problem. If I think about it I never had any kind of problem with it.

Ari :)

Corvette
September 7th, 2003, 04:25 PM
The local dive shop replaced my original Cobra dive computer after it was giving incorrect depth readings, as noted on my earlier posting to this board. I had done 9 dives with the new replacement computer when I again started to have problems. When I turned the dive computer on to record the information in my dive log from yesterday's dives, the computer immediately entered dive mode. It recorded a 32 minute, 11 foot dive with 0 psi, while sitting in front of my desktop computer. I immediately took it to the dive shop and they are going to send it to Suunto for service. So far, I'm not very impressed with the reliability and accuracy of the Cobra dive computer. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with the Cobra?

Orlando Eric
September 11th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Having started diving in 1982 there where no choices. I "got out of diving" for a few years and having started again a year ago I find computers coming the rage. I always thought they where pretty "neat" but am comfortable diving with the tables and my Seiko. I have been pondering the use of a wrist mounted computer especially that my interest in Wreck diving is peaking and I have been diving deeper since my new cert level. How in the name of Davey Jones do they (the manufactures) expect me to pay money for a so/so device! At least with my watch and tables I know I am within any doubt NDL. I will stick with my measely 20 min/100' dive until I am convinced that these confounded contrapations work, all the time every time.. CORRECTLY! I want a "I get to shoot you guarantee." If I get bent I get to shoot the person who made it.

Eric

joele
September 15th, 2003, 10:03 PM
i never had a problem with my favor...
i thought of buying Mos...
but reading your comments about it, i'm happy with my Favor...

Braunbehrens
September 18th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Orlando Eric once bubbled...
I want a "I get to shoot you guarantee." If I get bent I get to shoot the person who made it.

Eric

Not only do you not get to shoot them, but they'll fix it (won't give you a new one), and then you'll have the same problem again TWICE.

I'm still pissed that my Suunto is a 600 dollar paperweight. I won't even sell it, because I don't want to pass the problem on to someone else.

If you're using a bottom timer, that's fine, but I suggest a backup. Bottom timers can also fail.

In the end, none of these devices are immune from potential problems, and we should all dive in such a way that computer/gauge problems don't hurt us.

To me, this means that in any team there should be 3 devices, so that if one acts funny you can tell and you can tell which one it is. In reality, to me, this means having two devices on my wrist.

Also, I make sure that at least one of the two devices has a very good reputation, such as the Uwatec bottom timer.

Yegor
September 19th, 2003, 11:28 AM
My Uwatec Smart Pro.
I was doubting between the Vyper and the Smart Pro.
I choosed the Smart over the Vyper, because i just like the features of the Smart.

What i liked about the Smart:

- That itís a wrist model
- I like the MB levels.
- Wet contacts: I just like this, never can have the problem of leaking o-rings.
- Closed housing: with this you can't change the batt. yourself (this is not a problem for me, because i don't dive that much), so i have never start to worry that it starts to leak.
- Max depth 120m: this is good for when i need the gauge mode at great depth.
- Temp reading: (very pesonal) I know, when you feel cold, you are cold! But when do i get it cold? This depends my on wetsuite, my health, et, etc. And it's never at the same temp for when i get it cold. So when i start to get cold while i am in warmer waters, i know that there something with my health (or suite etc. etc.)
- Big Display
- Acent rate is displayed in % and the accent rate variables, depending on the depth you are diving.
- Automatic altitude adjustment (In Europe there are nice dive places at higher altitude, but i wouldnít do that to much/never).
- Life time free batt replacing
- 4 Sec. interval with 100 Hours of logging.
- I like the Smarttrak program.
- The infrared connection between my laptop en the smart (nomore hassle with the serial!!)

What i donít like:

- Max Depth limit alarm adjustment only via smarttrak
- You only can put it into gauge mode with smarttrak
- No possability for simulations with smarttrak.

Should be there something more for what i should know?
(despite the softwre problem)

jplacson
September 21st, 2003, 12:34 PM
I did notice a depth problem with my Vytec the other day.... not sure if it's a major problem...

Towards the end of the dive, after our safety stop... we hit a shallow thermocline at about 7 feet... my Vytec started reading shallower depths... then when I hit about 4-5 feet, it read "0" ... this happened 2x that day.

Does water temp affect depth reading accuracy? Cuz I tested my Vytec again in a rinsing basin... and it read a 1 foot depth just fine... used a ruler to check it... and it was on the dot.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1