Drysuit buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any rule of thumb in initial weight settings? Was diving a Seaquest Pro QD bcd, 7mm with a 3mm vest. Now I'm switching to a Whites Fusion drysuit and alum bp with Oxycheq 30lb wing. I was diving with about 14-16 lbs with the former (with a Faber 95). I have no idea what weight to start with. Suggestions?

I have no experience with the fusion, but switching from a 7mm to a TLS350, I started with 4 pounds extra and ended up with 2 extra. Aluminum BP, 16 pounds total now.

I would recommend ankle weights for the first couple dives if you have or can borrow some - eventually you'll ditch them but they helped me with the leg bubbles which are disconcerting at first.

Any rule of thumb in initial weight settings? Was diving a Seaquest Pro QD bcd, 7mm with a 3mm vest. Now I'm switching to a Whites Fusion drysuit and alum bp with Oxycheq 30lb wing. I was diving with about 14-16 lbs with the former (with a Faber 95). I have no idea what weight to start with. Suggestions?

Is there some reason you can't go and do a weight check?

You are changing two variables at once, drysuit and changing your BC to a BP&Wing. When I changed from a wetsuit to a dry suit with a 300 gram undersuit (major source of bouancy) I had a net change of 6 pounds. Your results may vary. A buoyancy check is of course recommended.

Hmmm. Out of curiosity, what kind of undergarment will you be wearing? Style of undergarment can make a significant difference in weighting.
FWIW, I found the Whites MK2 not to be warm enough for me in San Diego water.

I'll agree with the others -- you should definitely do a weight check.

OK, now that that's out of the way, let's give you some numbers to play around with:
  • For the BCD to BP/W change, your Seaquest BCD is likely +2 to +4 lbs. buoyant. Your AL BP is -2 lbs. buoyant. Therefore, you can subtract 4 - 6 lbs. of lead right there.
  • For the wetsuit/vest to drysuit, there are just too many variables. Is it a new 7mm or old, raggedy suit? Are you planning to wear a thin undergarment (thinsulate or some similar material) or a puffy Weezle-style undergarment with your drysuit? If you go with the thicker, puffier undergarment you might have to add 4 - 6 lbs. of lead. This could end up simply canceling out the "lead savings" from your BCD to BP/W transition.

The Fusion dives like a wetsuit...really. When I demoed it, I was amazed with how well the stretchy Lycra outer material evenly distributes the air inside the suit. You probably won't need ankle weights or gaiters. Have a great time with your new gear! I'm sure you'll love it.

Keep us updated on how your optimal weighting with all that new stuff...

When I was diving my old tri-lam suit I was using 22lbs plus 2lb ankle weights.

Now with my fusion, I dive 16lbs - no ankle weights. I would think that you could start with what you were using with your wetsuit. If you start on a boat, stay near the boat and do a buoyancy check.

Undergarments will most definitely change your weight requirement - especially with the fusion as it really does fit like a wetsuit and the thicker the undergarment, the more weight you will need. I found with my heavy trilam it wasn't much of a factor - with the fusion I think it will be.

Warmth will be up to the amount of insulation you have with the suit - I LOVE my fusion - enjoy :)

Greetings On two wheels! First things first weight check is the way to go.
In my experience; I dive 7mm wet with 16 lbs Transpac, 12 lbs Al BP 30 wing wet, Dry suit Transpac 24 AL 80, DS Al BP 30 wing 16-18. I have a Bare trilam with 200 gram thinsulate undergarments. One thing I have been currently doing is using an AL 100 HP 3300 psi tank for singles. I have noticed I could shave some pounds again. I do not want to put too much stress on my wing. I dive primarily cold water and carry reels, 30cf pony for redundancy. It can push the 30 wing a little. I love the AL BP 30 wing with 80's and my 3mm I get away with 4 - 6 pounds but the water has to warm up or I head south. I love experimenting with gear and different configurations to fit specific circumstances. Proper trim and weighting can make diving so unbelievable.
It is a on going process to pin the perfect rig then I will try something new. Keeping it real. Have fun and be sure to train in a safe environment till you work out all the quirks of your new gear.
Cam G Keep diving.....keep training.....keep learning!

I would recommend ankle weights for the first couple dives if you have or can borrow some - eventually you'll ditch them but they helped me with the leg bubbles which are disconcerting at first.

If the air in the legs of the drysuit bothers you, IMO you can try to use gaitors, that is preference, but I just don't like ankle weights. Also, if you use a SS BP you can reduce some weight on the belt (to give an example, I dive a TLS350 and a CF200x and don't use weight belt at all). Adjust the trim moving the cylinder and/or putting weight pockets in the SA's rigs.

Any rule of thumb in initial weight settings....switching to a Whites Fusion drysuit... Suggestions?

You have read the previous posts about doing a proper weight check so I won't say it again but for what it is worth, my wife switched from a 7mm wetsuit to the Fusion as well. She ended up about 4 extra pounds of lead.

FWIW, I found the Whites MK2 not to be warm enough for me in San Diego water.

I use the MK2 and with the jacket, I was plenty warm on the Yukon and Ruby E. Water temps were 49-51F.

I use the MK2 and with the jacket, I was plenty warm on the Yukon and Ruby E. Water temps were 49-51F.

Thanks everyone. I'm not worried about the placement of weights...I'll figure that out as I go. I just want to make sure I've got enough weight to get down but not so much to burden myself unnecessarily. Based on what I've read, I think I'll ad about 2-4 lbs and start there.

I realize a weight check is in order but I was asking in the event I start with a beach dive (highly possible). I'd hate to do the surface swim and not have enough or simply sink like a rock. The responses here have given me enough that even if I'm overweighted, I'll at least be able to do the dive comfy, the do the weight check at the end with less air in the tank.

Again, thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom