What to do when shark approach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbdqsony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What would you do if you are in water and no where to get behind, there is HUGE shark approach toward you and opens its mouth?:vintagediver:

cm_sharks007kw.jpg

Count your blessings that you're lucky enough to interact with such a large animal, and hope that it doesn't wish to take the exchange any further.

Take its picture.

The first things we get taught when diving where sharks are around is to stay as close as possible to the reef.. I guess this is not an answer to your question as you mentioned there is nothing around?
Another point I was told through a friend, a shark tends to circle around to view you well, hence once you interrupt the circling mechanism by going up or down (he said better down) for a couple of meters, he would start circling again so you will have sometime to find some help :)
just my 0.02 :wink:

Alert your dive buddy and slowly swim away, without panicking. There are very few aggressive sharks under the water, and even the "aggressive" ones are unlikely to attack.

1) Take reg out of mouth and say 'these are my fish, get your own' :no:

2) Grab dorsal fin and go for a ride :shocked2:

3) Hand stringer of fish to dive buddy and take video :D

Sharks are cool, just don't touch their privates... :eyebrow:

Take its picture.

That's what I try to do.

I did see a youtube video of a free diver interacting with some great whites. Each time they came near him, he went into a vertical posture and the sharks just veered off. Maybe I'd try that as well.

Gawk.

Get dive knife, cut buddy, swim like hell :D

I kid, I kid.

Back
Top Bottom