Probably the post you guys hate to reply to

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcavana

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Still pretty new to this forum. It is great.

Background: I have been diving offshore Jacksonville Fl for the last few weeks I dive solo. the depths depending on how far we go out are usually 80 - 105 feet. usually 14 - 30 miles offshore. The visibility is usually 20 to 40 feet.

Here are my questions...

I plan to bring a speargun down with me next time. I have never used a speargun before, but have plenty of experience shooting / hunting on land. The captain of the boat does not dive on these trips. he is a master diver but has never spearfished before.

The speargun seams easy enough to use... string it up, pull the bands back, aim, shoot. It is an older gun from a friend with new bands and cord.

Anyways, I will be pretty much teaching myself once I get down there. Is there any general or specific information any of you can share? What do I need to know that I might not already know???

thanks,

Mikey

Don't load the thing on the boat and don't come up with it loaded.
When in doubt if it's legal - don't shoot it - there is plenty more.

Please keep the tips coming. This is what I am talking about. I would have assumed you load it on the boat.... Now I know!!!! anything else????

Mikey

Keep your hands away from the bands when it's loaded.
I've seen a couple guys holding their spear guns by the top (hand over the band) and the band released causing a nice cut.

Take your time and don't be in a rush to take the shot (just like hunting). The calmer you are the calmer the fish will be.

Check out The Spearo's Guide. While it is mostly geared toward freedivers, I still found it VERY interesting and informative (from someone who is also looking to get into spearing!)

:cheers:

CivilE

basically, what you asked needs a book to address. Or a mentor.

If you ever want to come to Panama City, FL to hunt, I'd be happy to go out with you & show you what I do & why I do it. Which isn't to say that it's the only way, there is a large variation on how we do what we do.

Shoot small fish, aim for just behind the gill plate, carry a sharp pointy knife to kill the fish with after you shot them,

Try to avoid shooting fish when they are looking straight at you, continue to approach them until they begin to turn and run and then shoot them as they just turn to leave, from behind at a 45 degree angle (this is hard and is not always practical but it is a good rule of thumb).

practice loading the gun and pulling the trigger: as in inserting the shaft and wraping the line for HOURS (in the living room,while wearing dive gloves and watching TV) and keep practicing until you can do it without looking at it. Don't load the bands in the living room and put a rubber stopper on the tip so you don't poke the dog. Do NOt under estimate the value of this exercise.

Figure out where you are going to put the fish (bag or stringer) and mentally prepare yourself for shark encounters,

Figure out what you are going to do if the fish swims around you and wraps line around you. Hint: especially if you dive solo, this might involve removal of the scuba unit.

Figure out what your minimum shooting air pressure is: (hint: it needs to be a good bit more than your normal pressure that you begin an ascent), because it can take a while to subdue a fish and get started on the ascent.

Mentally prepare to loose the gun, it is important that you are willing to ditch the gun if you get in a battle you shouldn't have started.

Realize that your air consumption is going to go way up when fighting fish. If you do not have one already, get a pony bottle.

Hold your breath.. You are going to need to do this to effectively stalk some fish.. just dont push it too far or ascend, obviously.

It is best if you can practice shooting fragments of sea shells on the bottom in 30 feet to learn how the gun fires.

The gun WILL knock your front teeth out the first time you fire it, if you hold it to your eye or face and aim. You need to hold it out, have shoulder and especially elbow stiff to control recoil, maximize delivery of energy to shaft and to shoot straight.

After firing the gun, the gun itself will most likely float up behind you when the heavy shaft is removed. This is an excellent time to get really wrapped up in the shooting line with the gun floating up behind you and around the tank valve. If you shoot a big fish and you get wrapped up, be prepared to cut the line.

Get close to the fish when you fire, closer than you think is necessary.

Do not chase fish around pointing the gun at them. This scares them. Carefully stalk a fish, extend the gun and fire, tracking or following a fish while you hold a gun extended outward toward them, tracking each small amplitude move back and forth (while you try to get a shot) will quickly spook fish.

Always carry a light to search in holes, and have it out ready to use, not tucked away in a pocket of BC.

Try out solo spearfishing in as shallow of water as you can.

Those are a few tips, if I forgot something and you have a big problem the first time out while solo spearing in 135 feet, I would love to hear about it.

I have been spearfishing for some time now. I think that it is a sport that really cannot be taught but can be learned through watching. Safety is almost like hunting on land, never point the gun at anything that you are not intending to shoot. Never, never load the gun on the surface, I generally load my gun in the first few feet of the decent. Never, never hand your gun up when loaded, sorta like handing someone a loaded gun barrel first. I have never "aimed" my gun at the fish but rather pointed it like an extension of your arm. It will feel more natural the more you do it. I would not start my learning curve in deep water. I would tend to keep the first couple of hunting trips shallow, say 50 to 70 feet. Just till you get used to it. Dont shoot Cobia or AJ's until you have had some exeperience, they can and will drag you all over the place. Know what is legal to shoot and if in doubt of the size pass it up. Most importan practice alot. And most shooters I know acutally dive the buddy system (same ocean same day). Be carefull and use common sense. Carry a sharp ice pick to kill your fish before you string it, less likely to attract jew fish and sharks looking for a free meal and easier to control on your stringer. If you are line shafting carry a Z-knife to cut your line quickly if you have to.

...... It is an older gun from a friend with new bands and cord.

What kind of gun is it? Also if it is older, you might want to get it looked at for the trigger mechanism. The 'sear' is what locks the shaft and is a critical wear point. A worn sear can yield unpredictable results on some older models.

The other's advice above is very good.

Back
Top Bottom