What kind of logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RetMTFE

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious about what type of logbook you use. Did you stay with your "agency" (PADI, SSI, etc) logbook or switch to a more generic and if so, what brand?

My darling bride and daughter use the PADI logbook the red one......

I think she is on her 3rd one..........they like the dive shop stamps.........

Son uses his SSI binder and just buys more blank pages.......

I download and print my logbook (a bunch of 3 ring binders) from the Suunto Dive Manager software.......

I have only had to produce my logbook twice - Spain and Israel......I just carried my last 10 dives in a folder.............

Funny....when I went over 400 dives, shops don't seem interested in even asking much less looking at a logbook..........

M

What is a log book?

I found it very useful in the beginning to figure out weight, air consumption and all that good stuff. In the end, if asked for my log book, I'd have to hand them my computer:)

Oceanlog. After hand logging about 300 dives over the years and never getting asked for a log book I stopped for several years, about 2 decades. The only reason I use Oceanlog is it is easy, plug and go. It has helped with my ascent rates as I am of the never rise faster than your smallest bubble generation. Can't do that with paper.

I use the standard PADI one complete with the expensive zip up cover and slots to hold all my badges of honor (Certs.). I've never been asked to produce it, even for the Rescue course. But I may need it for DM. In a couple of years I may switch to a computer log--I'm not quite 10 years behind tech. progress yet.

Log Books and new pages can be expensive. If you dont dive much I would buy a good one, similar to the one you started with in your open water class. They have pleanty of info and make it easy to remember everything.
If you dive a lot and know what info you want and what slots you always skip anyway, there's nothing wrong with going to the store and just buying a notebook to use as a logbook.

I use my own MS Excel logbook but also carry a small waterproof one for logging the important stuff until I can put it in the computer or to show proof for some reason since it includes a signature block for my buddy. Logs like 50 dives and holds the essential info. Date, location, depth, vis, bottom time, with a section for notes which is where I normally add gas, exposure suit, entrance, etc. Most of that is covered in my dive computer for redundancy but it only holds like 12 dives before it overwrites the oldest one.

Looks like this.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BKSLB02.html

I designed my own log book page and took it to the local printer and had them print them for me. After the initial set up fee, it cost about $14.00 for 500 pages. They were glued into pads of 50 sheets and punched to fit my zippered PADI log book.

A combination of my computer and www.diverecord.com

I try to record my dives on diverecord as quickly as possible after a dive so I can put details in there if I see fit.

I use the printed output from Oceanic's Oceanlog software that's for use with their line of dive computers. It gives me all the data I need and allows me to add notes and photos. It allows me to keep a detail long of my equipment for each dive along with weighting details. It lets me log all my dive buddy details such as addresses, email, phone numbers and emergency contacts and then just click to add the buddy to a particular dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom