Repulse / Prince of Wales / 7 Skies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have dived the skies a few times, nice dive, ship is sitting upright, with the wheel house being at about 34M, the deck is down at around 45-50 i think, and top of funnel 20M. There is easy penetration of the wheel house area as most of the front is open.
quite often mantas there and other pelagics. Usually the vis is good enough that ther eis no problem with orientation and it is easy to work your way around much of the structure. Sure others will be able to fill you in on more technical dive aspects as i havent been below 40m or any serious penetration on it.

Dived repulse last month, not really a true wreck dive but i was there. the ship is semi inverted and the hull is at around 36m so within rec limits at 40m you can see down to the superstructure. there is a line down to the torpedo hole and a nice white ensign flag flying off the line near the hull. However at that depth on a single tank with current i didn't want to venture to far from the line area so not much exploring done.

A few people are starting to do more trips there now, although there seems to be a storm brewing over the Repulse being a war grave, and one trip a bell was removed although it was later handed to the correct authoriteis.

With regards to Repulse, seems to be beyond recreational limits - Going down to 40m, spend 10 minutes and then ascend does not seem very exciting !

not good quality but it has gone from video to memory stick

Think I really need to take this deco diving course I have been thinking of for ages !

Frog Fish,

I've dived the Repulse and Seven Skies and both sites aren't to be taken lightly! As a bare minimum I'd suggest that you need to be very comfortable doing deco, dive twins and have a sling with some form of Nitrox to off gas - others will add Trimix to this list but that's a whole different conversation.

In addition to this you should be aware that the current at both sites can be MAD, take a jon line and make sure you know how to use it (especially if you're pushing the pO2 for deco).

Not sure what Albion ment by the statement about the Repulse not being a 'true wreck dive', I can only assume that this conclusion was due to the max depth limit set because of the current and single cylinder config.

In my opinion the Repulse and Seven Skies offer the best dive sites I've visited but it all depends on what rocks your boat - technical deep wrecks and palagics or reefs and nudibranchs!

Have fun but make sure you know you're s*$t before you go!!

Mail me if you want some more info/pics.

Regards Dave.

Yes basically right it wasnt a true wreck dive for ME because i only had single tank and on rec limits you dont see much of the Repulse, a hull with a hole in it and a flag. Would like to go back and dive it properly twins etc etc.

The Skies can be dived easily on singles most of the superstructure is above 40M just need to watch the currents.

Should realy add to this list the Kuantan wreck a japanese freighter from WW2. lieing on its side in 22M Again currents can be strong but an easier dive as the depth isn't so bad.

Thanks for all the useful information which confirmed what I thought about Repulse, it is not a recreational dive (... even though some boats go there with recreational divers !).

On 7 skies, I totally agree it is a beautiful site. I have been there many times, especially in October when for some reason you are almost guaranteed to see mantas.

Would anyone know the history being the sinking of 7 skies ? I have read various theories but found no evidence ?

Albion - with regards to permission for diving repulse please see the attached URL to a letter from the British MOD. Diving there is fine as long as no artefacts are removed as you rightly pointed out

http://www.mvolive.com/MODLetter.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom