Drinking underwater (SCUDA??)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I love diving and the only thing that drive me nuts it the whole drymouth thing. I feel like my mouth is made out of sandpaper sometimes when I am diving. It gets to the point where I have to let a little seawater into my mouth just to make it easier. I had seen something called a scuda here and there and i was wondering if anyone could explain to me what the heck this thing is.

Second, and biggest. As an engineer i have been toying with the idea of using some sort of hydration system underwater. I have a camelbak with a pouch that would mount very nicely to my Raider Bc very nicely. And, from what I remember of hydrodynamics in engineering school... As long as there is no air in the camelbak bladder the compression of the water both in and outside of the bladder should be the same so there should be no or very little fluid movement between the two. If i was correct and it did hold the water with no problems at depth then it would simply be a question of changing my water tube for my reg, taking a quick sip, and going back to the reg. Any thoughts? So, what I am wondering is has someone already tried this?? does it work? If not... Why?

THanks

Jon
:dork2:

So, I love diving and the only thing that drive me nuts it the whole drymouth thing. I feel like my mouth is made out of sandpaper sometimes when I am diving. It gets to the point where I have to let a little seawater into my mouth just to make it easier. I had seen something called a scuda here and there and i was wondering if anyone could explain to me what the heck this thing is.

Second, and biggest. As an engineer i have been toying with the idea of using some sort of hydration system underwater. I have a camelbak with a pouch that would mount very nicely to my Raider Bc very nicely. And, from what I remember of hydrodynamics in engineering school... As long as there is no air in the camelbak bladder the compression of the water both in and outside of the bladder should be the same so there should be no or very little fluid movement between the two. If i was correct and it did hold the water with no problems at depth then it would simply be a question of changing my water tube for my reg, taking a quick sip, and going back to the reg. Any thoughts? So, what I am wondering is has someone already tried this?? does it work? If not... Why?

THanks

Jon
:dork2:

1. Try hydrating a lot before the dive...I used to get dry mouth but drinking plenty of water seems to prevent it. I believe a scuda is a pump that you can squeeze giving you a burst of freshwater underwater, I haven't met anyone that needed it. Just hydrate hydrate hydrate

2. I like capri sun's...I can't remember where I've seen what you are referring to but I know that a similar product exists, good concept though especially if it is cheap and easy to use.

Yes I heard those exist as far as I heard. Some people even put more than water in there :coffee: :)

But are you hydrated enough in the first place ?

I have a scuda and love it. Basically, it is a small pouch (~8 inches long) with tubing that runs to my regulator. I have a special mouthpiece that the tube ties into. the pouch wraps around my regulator hose and velcros on. I squeeze and sip. I got it because I used to get drymouth really bad while diving (to the point of triggering the gag reflex). Haven't had that problem for years (and haven't had any problems with the device for years). The bad part is that as far as I know, scuda 's are not manufactured anymore.

Dry mouth is a tertiary (third level) symptom of dehydration.

If you have a dry mouth, you are a long ways already into the problem. (as per Zaberman and Elan above)

Drink, drink, drink- then go diving. If you dive and don't have to pee, you aren't drinking enough.

"SCUDA" was a solution looking for a problem.

You can just use a regular camel back that cyclists use for hydration. I think Deep Sea Supply sell a modified model that connects to your doubles (although presumably it could work with a single tank just as well).

Dry mouth can be a symptom of dehydration. It can also be a symptom of being more sensitive than usual to the extremely dry air which fills scuba tanks.

A product already exists, though its designed for double tanks or rebreather use where your time underwater warrants the hydration bladder.

here you go:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=55

but a camelbak or similar item would work just as well.

foil drink pouches are probably just as easy and cheaper and available and compact.

As many posted, take care with dehydration, in short dives drymouth in excess (a litle is normal, as the air that fill the tanks has the umidity removed) is a sign of dehydration and this increases the time you need to offgas, so your NDL might even be altered if your are not properly hydrated. Drink a lot before you dive and if you dive dry, put a pee valve in your suit if you thing you can have a problem with imersion diuresis.

Going to the matter of hydration underwater, there is a kind of "camel back for diving" that works exactly as you mentioned, you take out the reg for a second or two, take a sip, and put the reg back, it is widely used for long cave dives, or dives requiring a very long decompression obligation. The ones I prefer does not attach to the cylinder, it can attach to the backplate, or the small ones you can put in the suit pocket.

I've had buddies whip out a Capri-sun during a dive. They compress way easier than a juice box, apparently, and then by drinking during the dive, you don't have to pee during the dive but still maintain a decent hydration level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom