Southern Egypt diving - need help! (Also Alexandria)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I am thinking about going to egypt for diving. I was there last year and stayed there about 5 months, so I really didn't think I could go back to egypt so soon.. Anyway I think it's going to happen..

Last time I dove at mostly north regions, around hurghada, dahab, sharm el sheikh. I also dove at abu dabab, elphinstone, samadai. I loved diving there, but as I originally planned to go to micronesia and happend to go back to egypt again, I'd like to see somewhere new.

This time, I'd like to go further south. I heard Brothers, Daedalous, Rocky, Zabargad, St John's and Fury Shoals are really nice.
One problem is that I don't have enough time. I may have maximum 10 days in egypt including arrival/departure day.
I know the best way is liveaboards, I searched some liveaboards programs and found out I don't fit with their schedules..

Is the only way to dive at those brothers, daedalous, rocky, zabargad, st john's and fury shoals is only from liveaboards?(For example, go to Hamata or Port bernice on my own.. however i have no idea how to get there now. it seems too far even from marsa alam..)
Well I don't intend to go all 6 sites of course but I want to dive at 2 or 3 places of them. (Think brothers islands are quite far from south, so I'll just skip it)

I am going to egypt from paris this time, so, if there're some good travel agencies, please let me know. Also 5 days liveaboards that cover the regions I mentioned above would be very nice.

Also by the way, how about diving in alexandria?
I'd like to see my friends(if possible) that I got to know during my last trip, and as they're living near alexandria, if it's impossible for me to go to southern region, I am considering going to alexandria, marsa matrouh just for sightseeing. I saw few diveshops in alexandria, but I didn't think the water there is clean or visible when I stayed there. Is it worth diving in alexandria?

Thank you for reading,
I'd appreciate any tips about diving in egypt very much!!

Brothers, Daedalus, Rocky, and Zabargad are marine parks, which means they could not be reached from any port (as per the regulations). To dive these areas, you have to sail from Sharm El Sheikh, Hurghada, or Port Ghalib. Sailing out of Hamata won't help with these area. Also the only way to dive them is via live-aboard.

Fury Shoal is reachable by daily boats. St. Johns is not. You also need a live-aboard to dive St. Johns but the difference is that you can board from any port.

Diving Alexandria isn't worth a penny IMHO. Not only because of the water, but mainly because of the operators.

Hi

I am thinking about going to egypt for diving. I was there last year and stayed there about 5 months, so I really didn't think I could go back to egypt so soon.. Anyway I think it's going to happen..

Leaving Egypt is like bungee jumping. You wake up one morning and you're back.

Last time I dove at mostly north regions, around hurghada, dahab, sharm el sheikh. I also dove at abu dabab, elphinstone, samadai. I loved diving there, but as I originally planned to go to micronesia and happend to go back to egypt again, I'd like to see somewhere new.

Compared to the north the diving is more exciting in the south IMHO. Of course you have all the wrecks and that sort of stuff in the north but in the south you have more shark and manta and other big fish.

This time, I'd like to go further south. I heard Brothers, Daedalous, Rocky, Zabargad, St John's and Fury Shoals are really nice.
One problem is that I don't have enough time. I may have maximum 10 days in egypt including arrival/departure day.
I know the best way is liveaboards, I searched some liveaboards programs and found out I don't fit with their schedules..

Liveaboard is the only way to get to most of those places but you can get daily diving in Wadi Gamal, Fury Shoal and Elphinstone. Hamata is an excellent alternative to Liveaboard since you can get the same amount of dives in every day if you like. You can make an early morning dive on the house reef (the house Reef in Zabargad Hotel in Hamata is absolutely wicked!) and then go for a 2-3 dive excursion on the boat and when you come back in the evening you go for a night dive on the house reef again.

Is the only way to dive at those brothers, daedalous, rocky, zabargad, st john's and fury shoals is only from liveaboards?(For example, go to Hamata or Port bernice on my own.. however i have no idea how to get there now. it seems too far even from marsa alam..)
Well I don't intend to go all 6 sites of course but I want to dive at 2 or 3 places of them. (Think brothers islands are quite far from south, so I'll just skip it)

IMHO the best is the trip this time of year goes to Brothers and Daedalus. This because you have good chance for hammerheads. You don't have to skip Brothers just because it's not "south enough", it's one of the best dive sites in the world and most operators combine Brothers with for example Daedalus and/or Elphinstone. Another cool thing that's going on right now is the turtles mating/nesting/hatching on Zabargad Island.

Have a look at my website WELCOME TO AZIAB and click on yearly cycle for more info on what's happening where and when.

Also by the way, how about diving in alexandria?
I'd like to see my friends(if possible) that I got to know during my last trip, and as they're living near alexandria, if it's impossible for me to go to southern region, I am considering going to alexandria, marsa matrouh just for sightseeing. I saw few diveshops in alexandria, but I didn't think the water there is clean or visible when I stayed there. Is it worth diving in alexandria?

I have a friend who worked with diving there for a short period and he said he was diving 90% on sand... I've never been there but I would definitely take Red Sea Shadows word for what he says about it.

Hope you'll have a great trip!

.....a.....

Did two dives in Alexandria recently when I was there for "topside" sightseeing. Was OK. Glad I did it as I was there, but wouldn't go out of my way to dive there.

Blue Heaven Holidays are based in marsa alam and can do all the destinations on their liveaboards. They can plan a custom trip and are probably the most experienced operator in the area. They're on scubadivinginegypt.co.uk

RJP, who did you dive with in Alexandria? Did you enquire about diving some of the wrecks further west?

I know that the viz would be much worse than in the Red Sea, but I think some of the wrecks along the coast looks really interesting.

Back
Top Bottom