Oriskany Dive Temps Requested Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ltstanfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I will be diving on the Oriskany on the 27th and 28th of this month (each day is two tank trip from Gulf Shores). What are the temps like? I can bring a drysuit if need be (don't plan to go any deeper than the flight deck) but would really prefer to dive with a full 3mil / hood. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

I was at 51 fsw yesterday in my 3mm w/o a hood and I felt great. Surface water temperature was 82* with water temps at depth (51 fsw) at 75*. Unless you get unusually cold I would just do the dive in a 3mm. The weather has been super warm for the last couple of weeks and I would expect the surface water temps to get into the 80's quite soon. In fact with how hot it has been it is going to feel good to jump into the water. During my short walk to the water yesterday I had to drink a bottle of water just to replenish the water I lost from sweat due to the heat. I definitly wouldn't reccommend diving dry this time of year, unless you just don't like to get wet.

In fact I saw quite a few people out diving in just their swimming suits yesterday.

How about the temps at depth? We're planning on going our later this month for a long CCR dive and plan to go down to the screws, etc. If it's 75 on the bottom and 80s up top, I'm leaving the drysuit at home!

Your looking at about 74*. I dived the O the other day in a 3mm with a hooded vest and was fine.

How about the temps at depth? We're planning on going our later this month for a long CCR dive and plan to go down to the screws, etc. If it's 75 on the bottom and 80s up top, I'm leaving the drysuit at home!

Keep in mind, the bottom for everyone who's posted here probably means the flight deck(<150').

Saturday the temps were 82 surface and 72 on the flight deck. The thermocline is at around 40 feet and the temp doesn't change much after you pass the thermocline. Vis was lower above the thermocline, but opened up below it and was 75-80+. There has been a fairly persistent surface current that dissipates around 20 ft. Hope this adds a bit to your info.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

You may want to try calling MBT Divers. They handle more tech divers than most of the other shops and may be a better source for you to get the info you need. Their number is 1-(850)-455-7702, fax: 1-(850)-455-7564. Their website is MBT Dive & Surf  Pensacola, Florida (850) 455-7702 hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom