water leaks while sideways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gnulab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm using Apeks XTX 50 regulator.

I'm experiencing inhaling water whenever I'm tilted sideways. So when inhaling, I'm not only inhaling air, but water as well.

But if I'm in head down position, no water.
Tilted 180 degrees, ie. I'm facing the sky, sometimes might cause water to leak into my breathing, sometimes it doesn't, but most of the time it does.

Is that normal? Does that happen to other regulator?

Please advise.
Henry

lol....
I had exactly the same problem and when i told the DM, he say its normal for all regulators.
Solution is to turn only sideways aka 90 degrees when you want to look up. Else just breathe/suck slowly and gently then you should not inhale any water....

Close the valve on your tank and breathe the reg down. It should hold a vacuum with it in your mouth. If not there is a problem and it needs to be serviced.

Was the reg just serviced?

hmmmm .... generally speaking most regs will leak a little (a little) if breathed in odd attitudes

but you really shouldn't be getting mouthfuls of water, with any reg, at any attitude

i have an Apeks ATX 50 and i don't have that problem at all

CURE: Don't swim sideways.

CURE: Don't swim sideways.

It's not about swimming sideway, but rather sometime when you're doing wall dive, and you're swimming horizontally, you'd need to tilt your head righto?

That's when we're in the sideway situation. :D

Last edited:
I also dive with an Apeks TXT 50 and the only time I've ever had that problem is when the dive/predive got bumped. Otherwise - have never had this happen in any position that I've tried. Hope you find the problem.

Back
Top Bottom