cruise diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetwolf

Reaction score
going on southern caribbean cruise june 21-29 on Carnival Destiny. looking for any recommendations or suggestions on which locations to look at or stay away from. I have already looked at the shore trips offered by the cruise lines and they seem limited.

wetwolf once bubbled...
going on southern caribbean cruise june 21-29 on Carnival Destiny. looking for any recommendations or suggestions on which locations to look at or stay away from. I have already looked at the shore trips offered by the cruise lines and they seem limited.

If you have the chance go to a diveshop and set up diving yourself rather then going with what the cruiseline offers.

Expect the following from the cruise ship sponsored dive runs:

1. Cattle Boats;
2. Depth limited to 80 feet;
3. Mediocre dive sites within spitting distance of wherever you dock.

If you can set up your own dives you may pay a little more for them to hold a boat for you but it is well worth it. Go on cruisecritic.com and see if you can round up some other divers to forego the ship sponsored ops and join you on your charter. Good luck! By the way, what are the stops?

I dove in St. Thomas with Celebrity. They did a decent job. We dove the Navy barges in the harbor and another reef dive with some decent swim-throughs. I would do it again.

Do you guys typically bring your own equipment when going on a cruise? I'm going on a cruise to nassau/coco cay/key west at the end of the month and was planning on doing probably one dive at coco cay (shore dive I believe) I think its only 10 dollars extra to rent all the equipment, so I just might do that. The reason I ask is because I've heard the rooms aren't too big on the majesty of the seas (royal carib. cruise line) and I dont want to take up too much room on board. Anyone ever dive off coco cay? How was it?
Thanks!!!

I brought my own gear.

When we went this past April, we brought our regulators and computers. The dive op we used in St. Thomas was great, and all of their equipment was in brand new condition, so we could have gotten away just our computers.

Same question with answers can be found here and here, and my trip report is here.

Marc

jas77 once bubbled...
Do you guys typically bring your own equipment when going on a cruise? I'm going on a cruise to nassau/coco cay/key west at the end of the month and was planning on doing probably one dive at coco cay (shore dive I believe) I think its only 10 dollars extra to rent all the equipment, so I just might do that. The reason I ask is because I've heard the rooms aren't too big on the majesty of the seas (royal carib. cruise line) and I dont want to take up too much room on board. Anyone ever dive off coco cay? How was it?
Thanks!!!

Coco Cay is Little Stirrup Cay on the nautical charts. RCCL has a lease on the island. The diving there was "OK" in that it was 40-50' reef dives on a nice reef but there were very few fish. I liked the dives they took us on in Nassau a lot more. The dive op in Coco is an "RCCL" operation. In Nassau, we dove with Nassau Scuba Center and they took us out to the wall where you can do a 50' dive or go as deep as you dare to go. The sharks in Nassau were everywhere around us but not aggressive. Air only in Coco, nitrox is available in Nassau.

Crown and Anchors aweigh,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom