Dive Report Panama City - June 13-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This past weekend in Panama City was interesting and exciting to say the least. We drove down Saturday morning and after checking in at the hotel and the stop at Winn-Dixie for hotdog stuff we finally arrived at the dive shop. We did the usual chit-chat and you know Saturday afternoon dive shop stuff and waited for a late diver. Finally we gave up and went on to the boats. About six or seven minutes after we left the shop we heard an explosion. Not thinking too much about it we went about our business and then the sirens started. We soon learned that, shortly after we left, the dive shop exploded. Two of their large air storage tanks ruptured and took out the rear wall and most of the roof. By the grace of God no one was seriously injured.

We headed for Stage One for our first dive. The stage was an experimental platform put there by the Navy in January 1958. It was dismantled and made into a dive site on August 8, 1984. The old tower lies in 107 feet of water and the structure rises to about sixty feet. It makes for a grand advanced training site. We saw huge angelfish, schools of jack, grouper, soft corals, sponges, and we found a piece of china. As we lay on the surface after the dive I sensed movement and a dolphin jumped less than ten feet from me. MSquare was holding at 20 feet and I sensed that I heard her squeal. She counted nine dolphins all around her but from the surface I saw more like twenty. They almost looked like baitfish twirling around and jumping. Their antics were so magnificent. The Atlantic Spotted Dolphin (Stenella frontalis) can be in groups of up to fifty but normally they band together in pods of five to fifteen. It was a sad moment when we had to break bonds with them and climb on the boat. Our dive was to 106 feet and lasted 49 minutes. Current on the surface was quite strong but gentle after about 20 feet. Water temperature was 75 degrees at the surface and 73 at the bottom.

Paul and the crew cooked hotdogs for us and we enjoyed the tasty treats on the way to our next site. We chose Bridge Span 14, always an interesting place. The surface current ran swift and was crossways to the wind but it slacked to almost nothing after about 20 feet. The first thing we found with a giant head sticking out from under the span was a small (90 pound or so) jewfish. It hung around motionless for a couple of minutes and retreated further under the span. We found two octopus hiding in holes. One wanted to play and wrapped a tentacle around my finger. The other was shy and retreated further back. There was a small shell that looked like a turban with its mantle spread around four inches. How the animal tucked that much into such a little space was totally amazing. There were huge bristle worms hanging from the soft coral. Some appeared to be mating. Just as we started ascending we spotted an Atlantic deer cowry with its mantle proudly displayed. We saw some bioluminescence, just a few sparks flying from the anchor line but nothing spectacular. The seas picked up a little and the exit proved challenging. Cool wind, trailing seas and a cold Landshark made for a spectacular ride back. Our dive was to 76 feet and lasted 38 minutes. Water temperature was 79 on the surface and 75 at the bottom.

We went to the Dock Hoppers Restaurant for light snacks and drinks. The folks actually kept the place open for us. The service and food proved fantastic. This place gets ten of my stars and is highly recommended. Then we dropped by the dive shop to survey the damage before returning to the hotel. Looking at the extreme damage that a ruptured air cylinder causes totally gives you a respect for handling scuba tanks.

Meanwhile back at the hotel we ran into a domestic disturbance two doors down. When I worked as a paramedic I learned that these family brawls are the most dangerous situations. Either or both of the distraught folks can turn on you very quickly. Looking at the club stamps on their hands we couldn't help but believe that there was more than alcohol involved here. The family literally dragged the boyfriend on the elevator and carried him away. Fearing that she was in danger we stayed with the girl until more of her family came to comfort her. Hotel security turned out to be a very tall and muscular woman with a four-foot flashlight.

Sunday morning the phone rang early and I dreamed that it was some alien ray gun. Finally I answered and Scotty was coordinating tank fills and other stuff. I was glad he called or I might have slept until noon.

We dropped off Nitrox tanks at Diver's Den for filling and went to the Blue Top for breakfast. We met up with Ricky there and enjoyed a meal and conversation fit for royalty.

The seas had calmed and the ride out filled with pleasure. We chose the Black Bart because of the young divers aboard. I have dived on the Bart hundreds of times and always find it a totally interesting site. The surface current proved mild and the visibility absolutely outstanding. I sat on the wheel house and could see clearly from the bow to the stacks. I watched stuff crawling around on the sand. There is a new bicycle on the deck and I rode it around a while. Then I gave it to one of the young divers to enjoy. We saw schools of baitfish and jack. There were loads of soft corals, sponges, toadfish, and urchins to grace our presence. One particularly large leopard toadfish stared out from a hole in an old tire. His haunting song reverberated within our bodies. We picked up a lot of scrap lead and searched the length of the wreck to ensure that all were up before ascending slowly, not wanting to lose sight of the beautiful wreck. Our dive was 84 feet and lasted 46 minutes. Temperature was 79 at the surface and 72 at the bottom.

One of the scourges of calm weather is the hordes of small fishing boats that clog the dive sites. We couldn't get on Bridge Span 14 so we headed for Bridge Span 1. The surface current here proved mild and the visibility outstanding. We found a Deer Cowry and a neat little eel right off the bat. Then we circled the bottom and went out on the sand to find Justin's snorkel. We found a swath where someone had dragged anchor and uncovered a pile of nice sand dollars. We picked up several to give away. These spans never cease to amaze me with their abundance of life. A small hammerhead came into view but didn't stay long. We saw his fins skimming across the surface. We went to 74 feet and our dive lasted 37 minutes. Water was 75 at the surface and 72 at the bottom.

The ride in was on a trailing sea as all life's journeys should be. The ride home was long, indeed very long. There was a great crew, great friends, great camaraderie, and great diving. All-in-all this turned out to be a totally awesome weekend. We can't wait to do it again.

Last edited:
Great report Tommy... It was an interesting weekend. Glad you had a great time on Sunday as well.. As alays it was a pleasure to dive with you, May May and Uncle Ricky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom