siesta key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lighgauge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am takig my family to siesta key for a month in july. Are there any good shallow dives besides the 5mile. thanks and I apprieciate your inpute.

I spend about a week each in year on Siesta Key with my family too. I don't know of but would love to hear about dive locations. You could check with the generic adventure outfitters (places that rent boats, etc.) to see what they recommend.

Meanwhile, we love visiting the Mote Marine Aquarium which is on one of the other keys nearby. They have nice sharks, rays, marine mammals (dolphins, manatees), sea turtles, and smaller fish and corals, including a nice eel display.

Greetings,

From Sarasota there are a number of artificial reefs just off the pass. Lynn Silvertooth and Alan Fisher to name 2. There's a number of other sites with in 3-5 miles offshore. (There's a Sarasota artificial reefs gps coordinates sheet online if you search for it. Numbers seem to be pretty good. For shore dives, there's point of rocks on the south side of Siesta, Spanish Rocks off Anna Maria and of course all the sharks teeth you can grab off of Venice. (Next town down / Anna Maria being the next town up.)

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

James

If you are talking about beach dives there is the "Sugar Barge" off AnnaMaria Island, a nice ledge off Nokomis Beach, and a nice ledge off Venice Beach. Point of Rocks is nice but can be hard to get into. The nicest close in artifical would be by the fishing pier in Venice, but that would be a long shore swim and is better by boat and is in about 20-25 ft of water. I know it goes without saying make sure you carry a diver float/flag with you. By boat there is several real nice ledges off Venice that are in 25 to 35 ft of water that are full of sea life. For shark tooth diving I would check in with Scuba West in Venice, Capt. Steve has been doing shark tooth dives for years and seems to be the resident expert on area fossils. You may have seen him and his crew on the travel channel.

Thanks for the insite and we will be doing boat dives just got the kids a hookah to get theyre feet wet and they really enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom