Diving in Wadi Lahami 8th-14th October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

I'm doing my first Egypt diving this year, going to Wadi Lahami, about 2 hours south of Marsa Alam. Really looking forward to it, but trying to figure out what suit to bring!

The people organising the trip have said a 3mm full length suit will be fine as the water will be around 27 C. Another person who has been there before reckons I should bring my 6.5mm Semi Dry, as we'll be doing 4 dives a day and I could get cold.

This link ( RED SEA YEAR - TIME TABLE ) that I found from this forum reckons either a 3mm or 7mm full length suit for Oct, depending on how you feel the cold. It also says the Water Temp would be about 25, not 27.

I'm from Ireland, water temps here go from about 9-16 C ( from April to October ), I use a dry suit now but have used my Semi-Dry in those temps without problems. I'd be worried about wearing a Semi-Dry in Air Temps of the high 20s / early 30s though, that'd be far too hot. But I don't want to be too cold in the water in a 3mm full suit ( and I'd have to go BUY a 3mm full suit, there's not much call for it here in Ireland! ).

So, while I know there are no exact correct answers, I'd appreciate some opinions. Any advice welcome, thanks!

J.

As you said, there's no exact answer. It depends on how you feel the cold. Personally I used a 5mm shorty for several years (and yes I'm a dive professional). Now that I'm too old for that, I use a 5mm full suit :) My coldest water experience was 14 C in Ain Sokhna.

According to what you mentioned, I think a 5mm one piece suit is your best option.

Thanks for your reply!

So you reckon a 3mm is too light, my 6.5mm Semi Dry is too heavy, and I should buy a 1 piece full size 5mm?

J.

Been to Lahami twice in October. The water is always 28/29C. We have always dived in our 3mm full length suits. The guides were diving in shorts ant t-shirts last year! Most folk were wearing shorties.

Unless you're a super cold fish a 3mm will be fine. Make sure it's got a good rubbery bum!! Those rib rides can be a bit hairy!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your reply. 28/29 Degrees in October sounds lovely! My mate is bringing a 3mm suit ( with a 2.5mm Shortie that'll fit over it if needed ) so it sounds like he's covered. I have to go buy one unfortunately. If you don't mind me asking, waht Temps do you nomrally dive in, and what suit do you normally wear?

As you've been to Lahami twice in October, what do you think of the place? Any tips / advice would be very helpful, thanks!

J.

We dive in all sorts of temps but try to find a nice warm place if possible! We both have Waterproof 3mm suits and they are the mutts nuts! They have a good rubbery bum so are ideal for rib diving. Be prepared for a bumpy ride!

Will you be diving with Red Sea Diving Safari? We have stayed at Wadi Lahami 3 times now. Twice in October, once in May. It can be quite windy so be prepared for high seas. One day last time there was 4m swells. Still went out diving but only to the inner reefs. The Fury shoals are absolutely stunning if you are into corals and fish. I have never seen anything BIG though. Occaisional sharks and a big sand dwelling ray are the biggest things we have seen. Swam with the dolphins at Sataya though, that was fun.

Anyway, let me know if there is anything else I can help with

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for all the advice. Yep, I'm going with Red Sea Diving Safari, really looking forward to it. Just need to buy the suit now! I'm fairly used to bumpy RIB rides, we get the same here in Dublin.

Another quick question. How did you find doing 4 dives each day, and did you dive on Air or Nitrox? Thanks again!

J.

Hi again Sharon!

Sorry for hassling you even more, but you mentioned the Waterproof 3mm ( the Capri I assume ). I'm looking at 3mm suits and I was wondering how happy you are with it? Thanks!

J.

We usually manage 4 dives a day about twice. The night dives are optional and very hard to get back in the water for. Not because they are sub par or anything, just because it is a very long day. IIRC we were getting up about 5.45am and the last time we were there in May it wasn't even remotely getting dark til 7.30pm. It's better in Oct. Not being the fittest buddies in the world either the long rib rides make you tired too.

Night diving is MENTAL there. Try putting your kit on in the dark on a rocking boat. Hee Hee, it sounds worse than it is but if you can take a waterproof head torch, makes life much easier!

They didn't have much in the way of Nitrox last time we were there, only saw the guides using it. Has to be shipped down from Shagra I believe so you have to plan in advance. Wasn't a problem on air as we don't go very deep. No fly times were still around 24h all week though on our Suuntos.

Our waterproof suits are a few years old now, the model before the capri but essentially the same. Both have 5mm waterproofs too as they are very flexible and warm suits.

We wont be joining you this year, went for the easy option and have just booked a week at Shagra at end of Oct. Lazy shore diving and photography for us :)

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom