Six years since last warm water dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So in the 6 years since my last warm water dive I have forgotten how to estimate how much lead I should use. I am pretty sure it wont be the 42lbs I use with my dry suit hehe.

I am pretty sure I will just be diving in a skin, no neoprene (although plenty of bioprene).

Thanks folks.

John

It will depend on too many factors for anyone to give you a really good estimate on the internet.

Do you recall how to do a buoyancy check?

If you ask a local guide to make an educated guess and then do a buoyancy check to fine tune it then you'll be fine.

R..

I can do a buoyancy check once I get there, but I was hoping for some thing to give an ideal starting point, like the 10% of your body weight +10 formula for diving in a 7mm suit.

I'm guessing doing a quick weight check at home is not an option??? I normally dive in a drysuit with an HP130, and am going to Hawaii where I'll be wearing a 3mm and diving with an Al80. I decided to rent an Al80 and do a weight check (by purging my tank down to 500psi while at 10 feet). It was chilly, but better than wasting a dive in Hawaii, imo....though if you're somewhere that requires a drysuit and you plan to dive without any exposure protection, it might not be feasible. Maybe try a pool and adjust accordingly for salt water?

Or just do a weight check at the surface at the start of your (tropical, vacation) dive and add weight to compensate for the air you will use during the dive.

I see. Well we might be able to get you in the ball park if that's what you want.

Let's start by knowing where you're going (not all warm water locations have the same salinity), what gear, especially the tank, you intend to use, what suit you intend to use and how much you weigh or at least how much weight you need with your 7mm suit and what tank you use with that ....

R..

I see. Well we might be able to get you in the ball park if that's what you want.

Let's start by knowing where you're going (not all warm water locations have the same salinity), what gear, especially the tank, you intend to use, what suit you intend to use and how much you weigh or at least how much weight you need with your 7mm suit and what tank you use with that ....

R..

Too many variables that I am not sure of. I will be going to Playa Del Carmen in July and will be bringing my BC and regs as well as booties and fins. But will be renting whatever tanks that are available. Not planing on wearing a suit of any sort, last time i was down that way I was quite a few pounds lighter and still plenty warm. I dive in Monterey CA regularly in my dry suit.

Guess it is just do a check when I get there.

p.s. Good golly I can't wait for a warm water dive. Also my son and normal dive buddy has decided he isnt diving CA anymore, too much work. I keep telling him to he needs to bulk up a little and he would enjoy CA better. (He is 14 and just barley hitting 90lbs and is almost 5'6". the kid turns sideways and disappears)

OK.... with a drysuit you're using 42lbs. Is that in salt water or fresh and what kind of a tank do you normally use? Is that 42lbs exactly what you need or a bit more?

R..

So in the 6 years since my last warm water dive I have forgotten how to estimate how much lead I should use. I am pretty sure it wont be the 42lbs I use with my dry suit hehe.

I am pretty sure I will just be diving in a skin, no neoprene (although plenty of bioprene).

Thanks folks.

John

Did you record in your logbook how much weight you used on that dive 6 years ago?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom