How/where to attach lift bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barnbridge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm taking an SSI advanced open water course this weekend and the instructor asked us to purchase lift bags and spool/reels for the dives. How and where can I attach the lift bag to my BC. It won't fit in the pocket.

does it have a clip on it? some folks clip it to a d-ring.

I'm personally not fond of that as why have something dangling that might get snagged on something.

lots of folks will "bungee" it to their wing straps (behind them) or under their wing.

I've got mine bungee'd under my wing and it's not in the way and I can reach it fine while submerged. works great.

Your Instructor will most likely cover this with you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You could always use a clip type bungy and put the bungy around the bag and then clip it to your BC.

I carry mine in my drysuit pocket...not an issue for me.

Ask your Instructor, it should be part of your training, I'm sure he/she will be happy to give you some ideas around it.

Happy Diving - AOW is a fun, fun course!!!

If it has a clip on it then clip it off to a D-ring and stuff it under the nearest strap. If you have a crotch strap with a butt D-ring that would be the ideal location. You could add a pocket depending on the bcd you use or put it in drysuit pockets or buy X-shorts if your in a wetsuit. I believe TS&M uses X-shorts so she might be able to offer advice on that.

I got a pouch with my lift bags which all came from dive rite but they dont make that pouch anymore, instead they sell an elastic sleeve which bolts to the backplate or bcd and retains the lift bag. this can be simulated with some bungee cord pretty easily if you have a convenient location. A good spot is on the bottom of the plate or bcd in the rear most position.

Lift Bags and Marking Tubes by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

OMS Backplate & Harness Accessories http://www.OMSdive.com

dont buy those items just mimic them with some cheap bungee or inner tube or latex tubing.

Back
Top Bottom