Don't be alarmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MX-5Racer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now I'm sure this may get the alarmists fired up, but let me preface this first. I would NEVER do anything that I felt would put me in grave danger or harm myself in any way. I am going to Adventuras Akumal in July and have a condo on the beach. last time I was there, I snorkled the bay on a regular basis with my camera. The bay has a protective reef and the water was 20 ft deep or so at the deepest and very calm. The problem with snorkle and camera's is trying to get a good shot 5' under water is a pain. I was thinking of suiting up and using my dive gear to do it. Now heres the alarm: I will be solo. What it will amount to is snorkeling with apperatus with a few shallow dives from time to time.

I'm looking for opinions and comments and if anyone else does this.(the wife is fretting over this)

attached are views of the bay. I will be restricted to stay in front of the small private condos (near Villa Derosa)

Attachments

• ak-av-t.jpg
    ak-av-t.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 90
  • bahia-principe-aventuras2a.jpg
    bahia-principe-aventuras2a.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 91
That's incredibly dangerous and I would highly advise against it. What you need to do is Fed-Ex me a plane ticket and reservations for the resort, and I will gladly be your dive buddy. I don't normally do this for people I don't know, but I'm feeling charitable today. :D

Are you a competent diver? Do you use good judgment? Can you successfully walk across a street with lots of cars motoring around you? Are you healthy? If yes, go for it.

That's incredibly dangerous and I would highly advise against it. What you need to do is Fed-Ex me a plane ticket and reservations for the resort, and I will gladly be your dive buddy. I don't normally do this for people I don't know, but I'm feeling charitable today. :D

Thanks Hero, I tell the wife to get right on it!

You make a good point, lmorin. And Yes is the answer to all.

I will neither confirm nor deny whether I have done solo dives under similar circumstances. However, if I were considering a solo dive, I would spend a fair amount of time quizzing divers familiar with the site to determine what environmental hazards might await a solo diver, such as entanglement, entrapment, currents, giant sea monsters, etc. Even if one is a skilled solo diver, one's skills might not be appropriate for the environment.

I will neither confirm nor deny whether I have done solo dives under similar circumstances. However, if I were considering a solo dive, I would spend a fair amount of time quizzing divers familiar with the site to determine what environmental hazards might await a solo diver, such as entanglement, entrapment, currents, giant sea monsters, etc. Even if one is a skilled solo diver, one's skills might not be appropriate for the environment.

Good idea.

How about it? Any Akumalians? Diver Lori, I know you know this area!

You're both idiots! What you are proposing is dangerous and irresponsible...

You need a DM with you!

PM or email me...

:D

If you are asking that question you are not most likely ready.

There can be a lot of dangers including some net laying on the bottom that you can catch. Why it most likely not happen there is still a chance. Whatever BS can happen you know. It's not like buddy will be able to save you in all cases but at least they can call for a help.

But it's your call.

There is a forum dedicated to solo diving on SB - you might want to move that thread there.

In that forum, it is generally accepted that with proper experience, training, attitude, dive conditions and gear solo diving is fine. Others claim that the people in there might not be totally objective :D

There are two things I would worry about in your case: inexperience (especially if you're closer from 25 dives than 50) and the "series of shallow dives" idea: it might be safer to stay down.

Would you feel comfortable swimming without a buddy? The answer to that question is basicly the same as the answer to what you're asking. Understand the risks, and decide if they're risks you're willing to take... just like you do when you decide to cross (or not cross) a busy street.

Back
Top Bottom