The name's Bond, James Bond.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vwdevotee

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so some of us got talking at my dive class, and we were wondering if it was actually possible to dive in full formal wear under a dry suit. I know it's really common in spy films, but could it really be done? It seemed to me that a tuxedo would get terribly rumpled. I suppose I could just try it, but I figured there are enough people on here that someone else already had the idea.

Peace!!

Well... possible it is, if you can take out the drysuit and have your tuxedo without a wrinkle and your hair perfectly arranged, this is other thing...

Take out the tuxedo and have it perfectly dry, if the drysuit has no leak, absolutely no problem... but I I think there will be some wrinkles here and there. Also, as far as I know, there is no dry hood, so your hair will get wet...

But considering the rest of the lies in the movie, probably this is a piece of cake... :lol:

One of my buddies wants to do this in summer on a pier dive as a joke :) So there are lots of people around to see it when we desuit, and also so we don't freeze during the dive. I am told I will have to wear a dress, which will probably be more problematic as far as crumpling goes (and also problematic because I do not own any dresses). I reckon give it a go!

How would the shoes work? I've never used a dry suit, do some of them have the thin rubber booties so that Bond's patent leather Ferragamo shoes wouldn't get wet and squishy?

Fabrics have changed since You Only Live Twice, or whichever one it was. I don't know about a rumple-proof tuxedo, but I wear these non-iron shirts from Brooks Brothers (I have them ironed, though!) and they maintain their crispness pretty well:

Brooks Brothers | Men | Non-Iron | Traditional Fit

Yes, some dry suits have boots built in. I thought of that this morning when I was reading a Clive Cussler book. The hero wore a military uniform under his dry suit (like Bond) and they commented that he hoped nobody noticed his neoprene dive boots. My first thought was that he was using the wrong dry suit for the job if it didn't have built-in boots he could wear real shoes under the suit.

But wouldn't Bond look funny putting Wonder Bread bags over his shoes so they wouldn't get stuck in the dry suit boots when he pulled them off? :wink:

Ok, so some of us got talking at my dive class, and we were wondering if it was actually possible to dive in full formal wear under a dry suit. I know it's really common in spy films, but could it really be done? It seemed to me that a tuxedo would get terribly rumpled. I suppose I could just try it, but I figured there are enough people on here that someone else already had the idea.

Peace!!

My instructor exam was the same day as the televised ceremony for my nominatin for a TONY award. A tux is required for the Tony event and I did consider wearing one under my drysuit.

Good thing there was a rest stop between my IE and Radio City Music Hall.

I had few wrinkles in my tux.

On the day I finished my Cert Dives last October, there was a DM who did exactly this.

The only thing he was missing is the patent leather shoes.

<<edit>>

But considering the rest of the lies in the movie, probably this is a piece of cake... :lol:

Ahh but you don't get it :D Its not lies.....its physics....Bond Physics :wink: It falls somewhere between Newtonian Physics, Special Relativity, and the Twilight Zone.

Dan

Picture38.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom