Myrtle Beach: Novice Divers Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PowerDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello SC Divers, My wife and I recently obtained OW certification and will be in Myrtle Beach in July. I have read many of the MB posts in this forum and have concluded
there are two recommended dive shops.
coastalscuba.com and expresswatersports.com

Only having 8 dives under our belts, we are true novices so want to stay within the rec limits and have the decent viz.
City of Richmond wreck which is 35-65ft deep and viz 30-50ft has been recommended.
The Sherman and Barracuda Alley also have their appel.

Can anyone comment on the above? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It is a little over 1 week until my departure for MB. Would really appreciate some input before I make the arrangements.
Thanks!

I have been out with both operations.

The September 2006 trip to the Sherman was my first ocean/wreck dive. We had a good time despite some rough conditions (4-5') and relatively poor visibility (10-12'). Coastal's boat was on the small side and a little rough around the edges. They also operated out from a dock that was not near their shop, if that makes a difference to you. The crew was generally friendly, if not overly helpful.

We went out with Scuba Express in May of 2007, to the City of Richmond. It was well worth the 90 minute ride out, we had great weather and their boat was brand new at the time. Its a 46' Newton that is nicely laid out. Visibility was in excess of 50' and there was a ton of marine life. While both the Sherman and the City of Richmond are scattered wrecks, I found the City of Richmond much more interesting as a new diver (although I would now like to return to the Sherman). The crew was very friendly and fed us watermelon during our SI.

While I would go back out with Coastal if they were running to a site I wanted to dive, I don't think that there is any comparison between the two. Scuba Express gets my vote, hands down.

I went with Scuba Express (Express Watersports) in July of 2008 and did the Bill Perry, 11 Mile (Tugboat), and Goldfinch Reef. The sites were just ok, but I was very happy with the dive operation.

Out of those sites, I would say 11 Mile is most suited for those who don't have a ton of dives under their belt yet. It had the best viz of the three sites, 10-15 ft. and was 79 degrees at a max depth of 50 feet. The tugboat is easy to explore and there is a short line running off of it to an A-7 plane, making navigation a cinch.

Be aware that the surface can be rough (take motion sickness remedies if you even rarely get sick) and the viz may not be up to your desires. I encountered 5-15 foot viz during my dives there last year. Also, I had booked the City of Richmond, but they cancelled it due to heavy currents at the dive site.

In case you weren't aware, the crew's responsibility is to drive you out there, brief you on the site, assist you back on board, and drive you home. Nothing else. It is not the valet diving you will find in say, the Caribbean. Don't expect them to set up your gear, change tanks, or anything like that. Also, the dives are unguided. So expect to dive on your own (with your buddy, of course) and figure your way around the wreck site and back to the boat by yourself.

That being said, it is very easy to navigate, as long as you stay on the wreck. They moor the boat directly to the wreck and use a system of lines that lead you from the entry point, directly to the mooring line and down to the wreck. Just reverse to get back.

The wreck sites I did weren't all that big, so you were never very far from the mooring line.

I don't mean to suggest that the dives are difficult or outside of your abilities, I just want to explain what you can expect.

I would explain any concerns you may have with the dive operation when you book your dives. They should be able to offer suggestions and match you with sites that fit your skill level.

And hopefully the viz had improved over last year. If it hasn't, you might want to bring a light with you. I found it helpful in peering through the murk and in looking into the holes in the wrecks.

Be sure to post a trip report when you get back.

If you feel you need a Divemaster with you I'm sure the shop can work something out. I would offer my camera but your going to have enough to deal with right now.

Rand and Backscatter - Thanks for your comments and recommendation. Will definitely check out Scuba Express and good to know that City of Richmond is a good site.

Mayor - I like with your recommendation to see if a DM or instructor can make this dive and will check this out with the ops. Camera will have to wait for a while as you stated that I need to gain expierence without added distraction!

Will definitely post a report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom