panama city update Rubble pile and Twin Barges.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalik

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were suppose to take the boat down to Pennsacola and dive the Conoco rig and other stuff thanks to some help form another Scuba board member but we encountered some mechanical problems early on and decided to stay in town and dive. (Thanks Hetland I will keep those for future use. After a 45 minute ride from the dock we got to the first dive. A Rubble pile out by the Liberty ship. We splashed at about 9:30on a high tide and the water was wonderful. there was no current to speak of and very few jellies. the surface was about 81 degrees with the bottom at about 73 at 83 feet, very refreshing due to the 93 degree air temp. The viz was 60+ feet and great. We saw jacks and triggers and alot of aj. After diving for about 8 minutes my buddy shot a trigger and I lined up on a large red snapper. We got 2 snapper and 2 triggers on this dive. The total dive lasted for 26 minutes. We hauled anchor and went inshore to Twin barges a favorite of mine. After waiting a short time for another boat to collect its divers and depart and also fighting off those pesky fisherman we hooked into the wreck. We splashed to almost the same conditions as before. Upon reaching the bottom and swimming around we found two Goliaths, one was a whopping 4-5 hundred pounds the biggest I have seen in some time and the other was about 2hundred. They swam around as if we werent even there. I quickly collected 2 shovelnose na stuffed them in my pocket. Then I got a nice fat 28 inch Grouper. My buddy got a couple of snapper to round out the day. We had to give a snapper to the local blowboater who watches over the boat at the marina but are taking the others to a hook and cook at Hunts tonite. All in all a beautiful day at sea.
K

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the report!

I am planning a trip to PC next weekend and have never dived there before. All my panhandle diving has been in either Pensacola or Destin. How does PC compare to those?

Also, how much better if the visibility between the inshore trips and offshore? Any recommendations between the two?

Any feedback is appreciated!

we have done 2 offshore trips recently as well as a lot inshore and to be totally honest with you as much as I like the offshore stuff the inshore stuff has been just as good. Like I reported earlier the jellies are not as bad as they have been and the viz inshore (within 6 miles of shore) has been very good. The wrecks her are pretty much the same as in Pcola but they dont take as long to get there.Of course this is always subject to change with the weather but it is extremely good now. Who are you planning to dive with?

Wow!! Great conditions!! I can't wait to get back in the water. :)

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the report!

I am planning a trip to PC next weekend and have never dived there before. All my panhandle diving has been in either Pensacola or Destin. How does PC compare to those?

Also, how much better if the visibility between the inshore trips and offshore? Any recommendations between the two?

Any feedback is appreciated!

The jetties at St. Andrews are one of my favorite shore dives, and Capt. Anderson's has the best broiled crab claws in the South :wink:

We have not booked the dives yet but I was going to look into that on Monday. Looks like there are several good operators to choose from. If the conditions and diving on the inshore sites has been as good as offshore, we may look to book a 3 tank trip with someone on Saturday if anyone else is interested.

Saint

PCB is my favorite place to dive on the panhandle. I found the diving to be more interesting and conditions to be more favorable than Destin and Pensacola. Just luck of the draw perhaps. So far I've dove with Rod on the Wreckraider, Divelocker, Better Bottom Time and Pat Kennedy. All good ops, with slightly different bias. After you've done the Bart, Strength and a few bridge spans a few times, be sure to mix it up with one of the offshore dives like the Accokeek, Mac's Reef or one of the deeper spans. I've had trouble finding 3 tank dives during the week, but it sounds like you have a good line on a Saturday 3 tanker.

I wish I was still living in Louisiana, at least it would be 6 hrs closer to good diving that where I am now.

HOpefully, I'll make it back over that way around the 4th of July weekend.

Dive safe!

Back
Top Bottom