Detailed Nekton Pilot Trip Report: Medio Reef June 6th - 13th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShanaLyns

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I've written a long winded and probably overly detailed trip report for our recent trip on the Nekton Pilot. If you're interested, it's here:

Medio Reef Trip Report

I hope it's helpful for people who are wondering if Medio Reef is for them. I know alot of the posts here about Nekton and previous SB'ers experiences at Medio really helped us decide to go, so thank you so much. Long story short, it was awesome overall. The Medio Reef trip is a really nice mixed bag of diving that included shallow reefs, blue holes, mini-walls, swim-throughs and night dives. Yeah, Nekton's got some well documented issues, but I'm not sure how else I would have gotten to dive these wonderful spots. So, enjoy the trip report.

Enjoy,

Shana Lyons

Great report! We are headed out for the Cay Sal trip on 27 June (a week away). This will be a long week waiting for the trip. We can't wait!

Thanks,
Chris & Marci

Thanks for taking the time to write up the review and share it with us!

I'm glad the report was helpful. Robin, some of your videos helped us decide to go, so thank you.

The lionfish haven't been overly destructive yet. I would say we saw a handful on each dive. They're definitely there, though. I kind of felt funny each time I saw one because they're so beautiful but so harmful to the reef. I do hope the government's bounty at least slows down their spread at some of the more well known sites.

Shana

Thanks for the detailed report. I have not been on a Nekton boat in four years, but your report is getting me psyched for their new Mayaguana itinerary. We're going in March, 2010.

ShanaLyns - great trip report!!!

I was on the Medio Reef trip May 23-30 and loved the diving! I also watched robint's videos and was sold on diving Medio Reef. I still haven't posted my report or pictures and your report is a good reminder that I have to get to it.

By the way - I got bit twice by a rather aggressive remora as well....damn things had me paranoid every time I saw them on a dive.

Hi Shana. It's Mike Mayfield from the Nekton trip last week.

What a nice surprise to see your review of the trip. You did a great job on the trip report. I was thinking about doing one, but now there is no need. You did a much better job than I would have.

I have posted some of the pictures from the trip, including the one of the three juvenile drums, in my SB photo gallery. I think you can get to them at scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/4092.

It was great diving with you and thanks for the great trip report.

Hi Mike!

I'm so glad for the link to your pictures! Thanks!

I hope you guys got home alright. It was a pleasure to dive with you all. Hopefully our paths will cross again.

Shana

Thnx for the excellent report. I loved the shark pix

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom