Carrying a cell phone while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glock Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Things happen. Boats leave divers, or divers get separated from the boat. Divemasters miscount the number of divers. Have you considered carrying a cell phone with you while diving?

Granted, if you're miles and miles offshore, you won't have reception. But I have to say, I've been impressed by how many diveboat captains get service on their cell phone out on the water.

I've never carried mine (party because I don't have a waterproof phone like the Casio G'zOne from Verizon), but it's something I'm thinking about. A Verizon rep told me this device is water-resistant to 6'. A small water-tight container to carry the phone in, that would fit in a BC pocket, would sure be helpful if I were in trouble at the surface.

Curious to see if other divers make this a practice, and what equipment you've been using (phone and case).

I haven't done this - but I did order an otter box (100ft watertight) for my Spot finder - that way I can order up a rescue if need be anywhere I am likely to be diving. Others also recommend personal EPIRBs in wtartight cases. Either way, it's a great thing for peace of mind. I recommend something.

Just for fun, we took a few old cell phones on dives to see what would happen. We used ziplock baggies and a water tight housing for others. The "baggies" kept them dry, but the lcd screens imploded around 40ft..lol. The watertight camera-housing worked well. BTW. We lost cell service around 35ft, so be sure to make all your calls before that depth. Texting worked the best.

You just gotta have fun when there is no sun.

the lcd screens imploded around 40ft..lol... We lost cell service around 35ft, so be sure to make all your calls before that depth. Texting worked the best.

this is so totally awesome

i could text my buddy: "omg shrk bhnd u totlly cool omg"

oh and take a pic when the shark bites his leg off and send it to all my friends

Last edited:
any phone would die at those depths, maby in water tightcase with a gzone then at surface pulling it out to text but calls the speakers and mic act up a bit from the extra restriction of water (my brother has one)

Just for fun, we took a few old cell phones on dives to see what would happen. We used ziplock baggies and a water tight housing for others. The "baggies" kept them dry, but the lcd screens imploded around 40ft..lol. The watertight camera-housing worked well. BTW. We lost cell service around 35ft, so be sure to make all your calls before that depth. Texting worked the best.

You just gotta have fun when there is no sun.

Interesting experiment!! good thing to know though:D

Curious to see if other divers make this a practice, and what equipment you've been using (phone and case).

Not a "practice" per se, but I've realized I had my blackberry in the pocket of my drysuit undergarment several times while on the bottom. Weird when it starts to beep or vibrate at 130' issuing a calendar reminder or something.

:eyebrow:

I thought that one of the purposes of diving was to get away from things like cell phones. Not for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom