Pensacola Spearfishing Report 6/20/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up with MrXray, Larry, Brandon and ______ (sorry, I'm bad w/names) this morning and made quick time through Pensacola Bay. We dove some bridge rubble and what was once a wreck about 14 or so miles out. Water was comfortably warm, and viz varied from 15 to 40. The legal snapper are holding 50-150ft off of the wrecks and reefs. It took me most of the dives to find the fish, and by the time I did, I was too low on gas to do any real work. We did make it back in with a few red snapper, two black snapper, a file fish, and a r&r caught mackerel. Sharks in the 4-6ft range were spotted on both dives, but they seemed uninterested in what we were doing. Barry rolled on the U.S.S. Massachusetts on our way back in, but the tide had already shifted, so viz was about zero. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday, even if it was oppressively hot. Thanks to captain, crew, and guests for a great time on the water today.

-h

Okay, I'm hooked on attaching my camera to my gun! Going to go look at some mounts this week! Great Video nice shot... The ending is priceless! Great diving with you again, and again and again......

We saw Gary's Cat-n-Around on our second dive site. What is the name of this site? Gary?

Don't know if you can make the shark out at 1:18. I can't get enough of it for an identification.

I mounted my camera to my gun using marine-grade stainless bolts and nylon lock nuts. I used ulcs gear for the mount itself, but it's still in the prototype phase. I had thought of adding rubber washers to dampen some of the vibration, but thar does not seem to be an issue. I have a few adjustments to make on the build, but I'm very happy with the results so far. Loading and shooting are not affected.

Barry: I'm looking forward to using it again next weekend, but hopefully with that slip-tip replaced I can put more fish in the boat :eyebrow:

I'll be land locked next weekend since I'm on call, but if Larry is going I'll tell him you're in!

I'll be land locked next weekend since I'm on call, but if Larry is going I'll tell him you're in!

Does that mean you're shore diving next weekend? LOL

Side Note: I just tried snapper sashimi. I took thin slices of raw snapper and arranged them on a plate. I added just enough pineapple/orange juice for the fish to soak up, and then a few drops of soy sauce. FAN-TASTIC! Milder than tuna, but with the same firmness and texture. If I don't die tomorrow, then I'll definitely try it again!

I'm currently oven roasting two filets over sliced roma tomatoes, thyme, basil and olive oil. I'll let you know how it turned out :wink:

I mounted my camera to my gun using marine-grade stainless bolts ........

You guys have the coolest toys...

I'm currently oven roasting two filets over sliced roma tomatoes, thyme, basil and olive oil. I'll let you know how it turned out :wink:

You guys cook the best food...

LOL. I tried a large snapper filet marinaded in a home brew of Terriaki (Sp?), smoke flavor, garlic, paprika, fresh garlic and some Mrs. Dash..... Superb! I need to come up with a glaze or sauce that can be served for dipping and I'll be a happy man!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom