First-timers in the Caribbean-advice please!

Recommended diving destinations

• Bonaire

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Tobago

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Aruba

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Dominican Republic

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sel

Registered
Reaction score
My husband-to-be and I are looking for diving destinations in the Caribbean as our honeymoon adventure. What would be a good site for those of us who have not yet dived in this region? I've read much about Bonaire. Would that be a good possibility? THANKS!!:)

Go to Peter Island in the BVI's... it's got all the diving you would want, it's not crowded, has a sophisticated flair without the "Sandals" atmosphere and it only takes 3 hours to get there on direct flights up and down the east coast of the US.

A little more info on what your interest are would help. I for one love Bonaire but it's not for everybody. Its slow paced, not a lot of night life, dancing or shopping and it does not have wide sandy beaches. It is not the tourist trap like a lot of places. If you want to eat/relax/sleep and dive then it's great. If you are interested in Bonaire try checking out www.bonairetalk.com . Lots of good folks and info to be had on that board.

If you're looking for a perfect honeymoon setting with, IMHO, excellent diving, I'd suggest the Anse Chastanet resort in St. Lucia. The dive operation on site is very good; by far the best (some would say the only--) dive sites are right at or very close to the resort. The setting is visually spectacular, excellent food in an open air setting among the trees with great views and a generally romantic atmosphere ( as I found out in a hilarious way--there for the diving and hiking with my brother, we made a pretty dramatic entrance to the restaurant that was filled, for the most part, with couples staring deeply into each other's eyes!) You'll probably observe at least one wedding taking place on the sand.
The reefs are in very good shape with lots of healthy coral and a good variety of Caribbean fish life, very little current at most sites (w/the exception of Superman which is a brisk drift dive) and very good vis (at least when I was there).

Here's their website... http://www.ansechastanet.com/

Happy Honeymooning!!

Hi again,

Just wanted to say "thank you" for all the input and information.
I really appreciate it!
PeterJ: It sounds like you had a blast (in a hilarious way):wink: That was a funny story! Tobi and I are looking for something a little more low-key, somewhere with only a few cloud9ners besides us!! But thanks anyway.

Selma

Looks like some great places to go.....once I win the lottery.

St. John and St. Thomas are a little more affordable. St. T has the night life and the shopping and St. J has the tranquility and empty beaches during off season.

For a honeymoon, if you want to splurg....but not be paying for it past your second kid, try to Weston Resort on St. J. It has a ferry that runs to ST. T. several times a day and is free for guests. Also has a dive operation right at the hotel.

St J is very easy and safe to drive on....if you plan to rent a car on St. T let me know...i would like to take an insurance policy out on you...

good luck

I would suggest Grand Cayman Islands as they have a whole web site on getting married above or under water. My second suggestion would be in the B.V.I. at the Bitter End Yacht Club on Josh Van Dyke island. But if you have the money, FIJI is the best. You have great diving and you can get married under a waterfall on a island called Tavanui.

Congrats on getting married.:)

Back
Top Bottom