Liveaboard - Complete Equipment List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparg93

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a newbie to the sport and booked my first liveaboard out of the Bahamas.

With that in mind, I was hoping someone with experience could write up a "checklist" of things to bring (i.e. wetsuit, BC, Reg, Fins, O-rings, lights). Also, what questions should I ask the operators of the boat before I go (i.e. Nitrox/Air, how much room available for bags, tools for maintenance on equipment, rental equipment, etc)?

I know that there are a huge number of variables for things to bring, so no list will be perfect, but I would love to hear what you experienced folk bring/prepare.

Hopefully if there is a really well written response :wink: we can get it as a sticky somewhere in the forum.

ipod, speakers, power strip, cards for hold'em...

Bring 5 sets of swimsuits. That way, you always have a dry one to switch into after a dive.

All the best, James

I'm a newbie to the sport and booked my first liveaboard out of the Bahamas.

With that in mind, I was hoping someone with experience could write up a "checklist" of things to bring (i.e. wetsuit, BC, Reg, Fins, O-rings, lights). Also, what questions should I ask the operators of the boat before I go (i.e. Nitrox/Air, how much room available for bags, tools for maintenance on equipment, rental equipment, etc)?

I know that there are a huge number of variables for things to bring, so no list will be perfect, but I would love to hear what you experienced folk bring/prepare.

Hopefully if there is a really well written response :wink: we can get it as a sticky somewhere in the forum.

well you didn't say what boat you're own.... that might help some with the list.

you'll find lists will vary depending on where you are going, what boat, time of year, etc.

here some things that I always take.

• big alligator clips. to clip swimsuits and towels down. clothespins don't cut it.
  • coffee mug. some boats have insulated coffee mugs, but I like my own
  • drink mug. Because I don't like my insulated drink mug tasting like coffee
  • ear plugs - boats are noisey and people snore.
  • flashlight for bunk - light switches are hard to find or overhead lights might wake up others if it's bunk room
  • soft sides luggage - no place to store hard luggage.
  • hydrocortizone cream - for that 'swimsuit rash that happens sometimes
  • band aids - for blisters heels
  • duct tape - to hold on the band aidson blistered heels
  • dish bin - to put under my seat to hold odd items (some boats have something like this).
  • paint marker & permanent marker - because lots of people stuff looks the same. lets you put your name on stuff if you need to.
  • Dive Alert. don't do a boat trip w/o one
  • SMB and spool/reel don't do a boat trip w/o one
  • tip money (cash) for crew
  • blank CD's (or DVD's). - typically folks load their pics on a laptop while there. often one person's laptop becomes the focal point for loading them all. blank CD's or DVD's gives you a way to copy everyone's pics to bring back. This is a good way to get pics of you diving as chances are someone took some of you on the trip.
  • USB memory stick, alternative for the above.
  • Power strip, because not having enough plugs to charge batteries, etc and stuff sucks.
  • spare dive computer. wear two. that way if one fails on the trip, you don't miss dives.

Hi,
In no particular order what so ever, and off the top of my head at the end of the work day :)

• Everything Mike_S Said
  • Mask
  • Snorkel - for in between dives
  • Booties
  • Fins
  • Weight Belt - boats usually have these so find out
  • BC
  • Regulator - the whole thing :)
  • Console - if it separates from your regulator
  • Computer - Bring a spare if you have one and dive with both
  • Wet Suite - depends on your comfort level. I am always cold so I dive a 5mm in the Caribbean
  • Tank Banger - works for me
  • SMB
  • Slate - If you use one
  • Save a Dive kit - search for threads on this subject...I won't go into details now of what I have in mine. If you wish you can PM me.
  • Extra bathing suites - it's nice to get into a dry one after a dive
  • T shirts - one per day
  • shorts - one or two pairs
  • First Aid Kit for yourself - medications you like, band aids you like, things like that. The boat should have a serious First Aid Kit but it will lack things like antacid or stuff like that. Also be prepared to share.
  • I personally always bring my own soap and shampoo
  • Toiletries - you know what you need
  • Towel/Robe - you most likely won't need one since the boat will supply towels but look at the website and make sure
  • Prepare to be barefoot for the whole week so no need for socks
  • Do you get seasick? If you don't know get some Dramamine in case
  • Camera - let's not get into underwater stuff here...just a land camera so you can take pictures of the scenery from the boat etc...
  • Extra batteries
  • Extra memory cards
  • Decent book you won't mind leaving on board
  • DVD's - it's always nice to bring one or two and leave them there for the crew
  • Sunglasses
  • Lighter - if you smoke pack it, otherwise the TSA will take it from you
  • Passport
  • Pen
  • Credit Card
  • Proof of Dive Insurance
  • Log Book
  • Charger for cell phone...it will be dead by the end of the week. This way you can charge it on your last day and have it work once you land state side
  • Chargers - In general, charges for anything that requires charging
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen Lotion
  • Old log book or proof of last few dives
That's about it for now...If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.

Enjoy your trip.

Patience
Flexibility
An open mind
A sense of humor

It’s been my experience that folk who’s vacations have been ‘ruined’ forgot to pack any or all of these essential items.

I'd add to the list above:
  • clothesline/cave line - the last day is usually 'rinse everything and let it dry so it doesn't stink too much after the flight back home' - and there is never enough room to air everything properly
  • extra wetsuit - I usually alternate between a 5mm shorty and a full 3mm depending of the site and my mood - that's even better than having a dry swimsuit
  • extra mask - the rest you can borrow or do without, but if you have a hard to fit face and your mask breaks...
  • sweater/jacket - even in tropical locations, having something warm to put on after a night dive is nice. You can use it to pass out on the deck as well if cabins are too stuffy.
  • mosquito repellent and post bite treatment - depending of the destination
  • good mood and patience

Nice lists to look through, thanks!

yes, this is a blackbeards trip to Hogsty

Back
Top Bottom