Cypress and Morrison Springs Dive Reports 6-21-9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DogHouseDiver picked me up at 8:20AM in the morning, so a relatively late start, and it was great! We loaded up the trailer he tows behind his little hybrid and we headed off to Pensacola to pick up Paul, one of DHD's regular dive buddies. Once all loaded up, we headed East looking for some cool, and hopefully clear water.

Cypress Springs

We stopped by Vortex to get some fills and along the way decided to rent a canoe to hit up Cypress, which DogHouseDiver and Paul had never dived before. After the tanks were filled and we finished scarfing down some subway sandwiches, we headed off to Vernon. I had never used the canoe rental place just down the road from the boat launch, Canoes 4-U, since I usually just bring my own boat. We didn't originally plan to dive Cypress though, so figured we'd give them a try. The people running the place were very accomodating and even drove the canoe over to the launch for us. I'd recommend them to anyone looking to rent a canoe for Cypress or anywhere else in the area.

The boat launch was as packed as I'd ever seen it, with trucks and trailers lining just about any available parking area and even filing down the road a bit. We packed the canoe with three sets of gear, six tanks, and three people. This caused the canoe to be VERY overloaded as I was the lightest of the bunch(scary). :shocked2: The diving god's smiled on us though and we never swamped the boat despite only having an inch or two of freeboard. The Fish and Wildlife people were out and we were even checked for the correct number of lifejackets. I had heard they come out there, but this is the first time I've seen them around.

Cypress was quite populated yesterday. The outskirts and beaches were fairly filled with boats filled with people cooling off in the water and escaping the harsh temperatures. Aside from a couple people swimming in the basin, the water we'd be diving was pretty much empty. Most everyone stayed in the waist deep water and shallower. We geared up and after a few checks, hit the water. We were the only divers onsite and headed into the cavern, which is always an adventure fighting the flow. Visibility was endless, as usual, and we enjoyed the eels and rockbass in the cavern area. I zipped down to the bottom, removed a tank, and squeezed through the restriction and continued to the end of the line. That gave me a max depth of 63' and we enjoyed the fossils in the walls a little more before exitting into OW. We explored the rest of the vents and other nooks and crannies, did the swim thru and watched the bream, bass, pike, lizardfish, and crawfish in the basin. We ended up exitting after about 44 minutes. We enjoyed watching the local shinanigans for a bit then decided we'd do our second dive at Morrison(since we have daylight until like 8PM, we had plenty of time). Paul wanted to look for fossils and artifacts on the way back, so DHD passed him his longhose and he swam along the side of the boat for the entire trip back to the boatlaunch. He did find a cool fossilized tooth of some sorts, but no arrowheads on this trip. Despite being busy, everyone seemed to have a great dive. Everyone still had a ton of gas left, so we headed straight to our next destination.

Morrison Springs

We made it over to Morrison around 5PM, and even got a parking spot next to the pavillion. It seems as though it had probably been VERY busy earlier in the day, but people were trickling out and allowed for some close parking. We geared up quickly and headed to the water, using the "Scuba Platform". The platform was overrun with swimmers jumping from the platform as well as the railings on the side.

We entered the water, nearly 3 hours after exitting our last dive. Paul and I looked on from deeper water as DHD narrowly escaped being cannonballed by three very large swimmers - LOL. The visibility was around 30' and a bit greenish until you hit the depression where the water cleared to blue and visibility stretched out much farther. It seemed as though the cavern has been cleaned up quite a bit, which was a nice change from all the trinkets that had accumulated within it over the years. We looked around for quite a bit and it still seems as though break down is being place over the vents. Down near the lower vent, I found an eel that had a large gash behind its head. It was bleeding and obviously dying, so I found a sharp rock and tried putting it out of its misery. I was having some issues, so Paul took out his dive katana and finished it off. Shortly afterwards, I see the head of another eel. After the dive, Paul said he had seen a third head. SOMEONE WAS IN THE CAVERN DECAPITATING EELS!!! There's NO good reason for this, and if anyone sees diver's doing this, they need to be approached and lectured on being more responsible! I mean what the hell??? We eventually headed into OW and goofed around in the basin for a bit before exitting. I had a max depth of 90' for 38 minutes. We exitted via the beach, which is a hellovalot easier to use for entering and exitting anyway.

After gearing down and heading out, we decided to head over to Sally's as tradition dictates. Then DogHouseDiver suggested mexican and we agreed that'd be great. So we headed off to El Rumba in Defuniak Springs. None of us had been there so we didn't know what to expect. The place was great though, salsa was awesome, the beans were good, and it was definately worth driving a little further for :) I know, it was sacriligous for us to skip Sally's, but such as life. The ride back was spent talking about diving and mainly trying to keep awake. Can't wait for next weekends dives :D Word on the street is that GlenFWB might have a new card coming soon :shocked2:

Glad you had an awesome dive! I've never, ever been in the cavern at Morrisons (just the basin)...I'd love to go there one of these days :D

That's absolutely horrible that someone is beheading eels...just makes me sick to my stomach to think that someone could be so cruel....

Great report Mat, but I do have a few comments:

The boat launch was as packed as I'd ever seen it, with trucks and trailers lining just about any available parking area and even filing down the road a bit.

I think the most I have ever seen in the parking lot at Culpepper landing is 2 other vehicles.

This caused the canoe to be VERY overloaded as I was the lightest of the bunch(scary). :shocked2:

There are so many smart **s comments one could make at this point...since I will be in caves with you next weekend, it might be best I let this one slide!

The Fish and Wildlife people were out and we were even checked for the correct number of lifejackets. I had heard they come out there, but this is the first time I've seen them around.

I wonder if they will accept a BC as a life jacket? I have never seen them out there either.

Paul wanted to look for fossils and artifacts on the way back, so DHD passed him his longhose and he swam along the side of the boat for the entire trip back to the boatlaunch. He did find a cool fossilized tooth of some sorts, but no arrowheads on this trip.

That is a great idea. We should do that one day when we have some time. There was a very deep bend on the way to Becton spring, last time Shagman and I went there...that I wanted to dive. It is at the bend in the river, and I was wondering if some fossils might accumulate there.

I see the head of another eel. After the dive, Paul said he had seen a third head. SOMEONE WAS IN THE CAVERN DECAPITATING EELS!!! There's NO good reason for this, and if anyone sees diver's doing this, they need to be approached and lectured on being more responsible! I mean what the hell???

Why in the world would someone do that? The eels are so much fun to watch. We might have to arrange an OOA situation for someone if we see that happening! If someone messes with the eels...we see if they can do a CESA from 90 feet out of a cavern!

Then DogHouseDiver suggested mexican and we agreed that'd be great. So we headed off to El Rumba in Defuniak Springs

Leave it to you Bugman to find another Mexican restaurant to eat at!

Can't wait for next weekends dives :D Word on the street is that GlenFWB might have a new card coming soon :shocked2:

The correct word is...I will be ATTEMPTING to get a new card. We will see if the cave god's agree.:confused:

There were probably close to 20 vehicles at Culpepper on Sunday and likely 15 boats(ranging from kayaks to bass boats) at Cypress Springs itself. It was BUSY for that spring and even some of the locals commented that they haven't seen so many people around.

I can't say for sure about the Florida laws, but in Alabama, BCD's aren't acceptable as life jackets. No problem though, when we rented the canoe, they gave us three life jackets to go with it. Even when I take my own boat, I always have lifejackets on the floorboard in order to stay legal. If the boat sinks, I'll be going for my BCD rather than the life jacket though.

The creek was somewhat clear, not as clear as we've seen it in the past, but enough to see stuff closeby. I'd say probably 5' visibility. If we stay as dry as we've been, it'll likely keep getting clearer.

no reason to kill those eels... :shakehead:

I wonder if they will accept a BC as a life jacket? I have never seen them out there either.
:

Flotation devices have to be US Coast Guard approved and have label in it saying it's approved. (a worn out label could get you a ticket on an old life jacket). BC's, wings, etc don't meet this criteria.

they have to be Type I, II, or III flotation devices or a type V can be used if is being worn (but not donned).

type I is ocean going, keeps your head out of water if unconscious
type II is one that will keep your head out of the water, like those big horseshoe orange ones that no one likes
Type III is a jacket type (like a ski vest), not designed to keep you head out of water.
Type iV is a "throwable" such as a cushion or life ring
type V is "special use" like some self inflate, like the suspenders/vest that you self inflate you see some fishermen wear. or I think the ski belts were type V

boats longer than 16' (except canoes/kayaks) are required to have a throwable (type IV) on board also in addition to one for everyone on board.

I saw 2 or 3 eels dead today, I can't understand why someone would do such.
And talking about red necks they have found the place. It would be nice to have the place for divers only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom