EOS 40D with Ikelite Housing and EFS 10-22mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foxy188

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Ikelite support staff,

First of all, I would express my sincere gratitude in your GREAT service last time. Your technical and admin staffs were so helpful. Furthermore, your quality of the housing have serve so well till now with my 40D.

Recently, I just purchase a EFS 10-22mm lens which I could use with my #5503.50 dome port. But I need advice from your expertise.

In regards to the enclosed pictures, I notice that when using #5503.50 dome
port, it turns soft at the bottom right and left of the pictures. Settings
at f/8, 1/125 (Exif setting enclosed in the picture)

In your expert advice, I was wondering, among the possibility in solving
this issue with a 8" Dome Port?

Enclosed pictures from your kind attention. (please note that the bottom
corner left and right have turn soft.)

Regards,.. Steven Goh

(Ikelite Setup)
Canon EOS 40D with Ikelite Housing (#6870.40)
2x DS125 strobe
EFS 10-22 Lens
6" Dome Port (#5503.50)

Attachments

• IMG_7579.jpg
    IMG_7579.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 93
Steven,

One thing you can try first: Since you have a zoom lens, the Nodal point floats as you zoom. There will be a "sweet spot" somewhere in the zoom range. Zoom in slightly between the 12mm-15mm setting and see if there is an improvement. I believe that by doing this, you will get closer to the optimal distance from the lens Nodal point, resulting in sharper edges.
A smaller aperture setting (larger numerically) will always help eliminate edge softness, but you don't want to alter the lighting balance too much or your background will get dark.
Since the "apparent image" is created on the radius of the dome, the 8" dome should also help to reduce edge softness.
Lastly, in some situations, a +2 diopter added to the end of the lens has also been beneficial.

Regards,

Thanks Brett for your recommendation.

I will try and out between 12-15mm. Btw, in your perspective, do you thing f/8 or f/12 would be a desirable setting?

Steven

Considering your situation, f12 would give you better depth-of-field and likely improve edge sharpness to a small degree, however the background may darken slightly depending on the amount of available ambient light.

F8 would probably balance the foreground and background lighting better.

Regards,

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your advice. Tested out your recommendation today and it worked so well.
Tested on Hoya +2 diopter and +3 Diopter with 6" Port. Picture came out well.

Much appreciate on your assistance.

Regards,... Steven Goh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom