Anyone near Miami Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new Miami Beach resident from Boulder - CO. I'm a recovering snowboarder just getting into spearing/freedive...(I also joined SpearBoard but they did not activate my membership in almost a week).

I'm a complete newb but if anyone wants to show me the ropes or get together let me know. I have a kayak out back, but it's a 2 person and a complete dog (a neighbors boat, but I can use).

I'll pay gas / food if someone's going out on their boat, or I'll swim out from a beach if you know any spots.....or I'll kayak...any ideas are welcome!

PS: I live on the Intercoastal around 80th and Collins!

Thanks for any help I can get....

Jay

Last edited:
tell me about your diving experience... do you have a speargun, and how many dives do you have?

you need to be scared of boats, diving from the beach,, they will not see your flag, and will run you over. really.

use that kayak, and a large (legal flag), with that boats will most likely see you and not run you over.

back to diving... I'm not aware of much off miami beach. less than 30' so you'll be out at least a mile to get to 2nd reef.

off of keybiscayne, a little south the reef is in about 15-20' and there are some fish. lobsters too (season starts in late july (mini) and aug 6 for regular).

there is a lot of nice beach diving off ft lauderdale and hollywood. again, you want the kayak. or a innertube w/ a flag... (at least 1 diver a year is hit by boats).

-suggest you try south florida divers (club) meets in hollywood. good folks, and they do some privated (club members boats) dives, as well as 6pack dive boats.

also dive pennicamp, its great but no hunting!

OK?

That's great information. Today I met some cool guy at South Beach Divers. So, I may go out with him and friends, we shall see.

thanks for the info!

Thanks again for the reply. I have ZIP scuba experience, and I'm just now getting into free-dive. I own a gun, and a polespear, and some basic gear (gloves, fins, mask)......that's about it.

I will definitely try to hook up with someone to learn, because I think doing it alone is TOO dangerous at this point for me. At the scuba shop today the guys told me learning free dive is way more dangerous than learning scuba.....who knows if that's their opinion or accepted fact with in the dive community. I truly don't care either way, I will heed their advice and be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom