Ft. Pickens (with pics) Report 6-23-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made my journey out to Ft. Pickens today (6-23-09) at about 7:45 AM to catch a couple dives close to high tide which was supposed to be at 10:21. Upon entering the water at 08:15, I noticed the water was quite clear and couldn’t wait to check things out. Once under the water I noticed that there was a noticeable, but manageable current moving to the West (outgoing). I couldn’t figure out what was going on because I double checked the tide times and even looked at them again once I got home and everything still showed a 10:21 high tide. Unfortunately, this current was bringing in a lot of particulate which brought down the visibility to 10 ft. Without this particulate I would say the visibility would have easy been 25 ft or better. Water temps were 75*, which felt awesome with the balmy air temps we have been experiencing. My wife and I made the best of things and we scouted around a bit. We played around with a very friendly octopus that brought his tentacle out to shake my wife’s finger and enjoyed all of the life that makes Ft. Pickens its home. I brought the camera out and I was able to get some decent pictures even with all of the particulate in the water. Here are a few pictures from today’s dives:

IMG_000612.JPG

IMG_001310.JPG

IMG_00264.JPG

IMG_00278.JPG

IMG_00285.JPG

IMG_00329.JPG

IMG_00494.JPG

IMG_00514.JPG

IMG_00553.JPG

IMG_00654.JPG

Cool report. Going Saturday for my first dives there.

Cool report. Going Saturday for my first dives there.

High tide for Saturday is 1:23 PM. I would recommend you get there at least two hours before to give yourself plenty of time for two dives with a decent surface interval between dives. Please post a report.

Looks like the viz wasn't real bad, but as you said, I'm sure it could have been better. The current on that day was the strongest of the month going from slack to +3.5 knots and then slack to -3.8 knots which probably was what contributed to the odd tidal currents and bad viz.

A stronger tidal influx will bring in more "clear" water from the gulf. Neap tides are the worse times to dive if you're looking for good visibility, since they don't bring the clearer gulf water in.

Back
Top Bottom