Hose routing question (and VT3)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

openhelix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got my VT3 computer and was hooking it up to my first stage. I have a Zeagle FH7 reg with 2 HP ports. I'm used to having my SPG and depth guage on my left on a retractor attached to a d-ring near my left hip. However I've heard the VT3 transmitter works better on the same side where you plan to wear the computer and that's my left. I moved the SPG to the right HP port but it feels weird. I haven't been in the water with it yet so it may be a non-issue but does anyone have a better strategy? :popcorn:

Edit: Dunno if it matter much but the SPG is on a miflex 36" HP hose

The SPG is a backup so you shouldn't even need to use it unless something is seriously wrong with your computer and by then you should be terminating your dive anyway.

But your dive computer's wireless transmission works best if the transmitter is on the same side as the computer. So ask yourself what's more important: best working dive computer or a backup SPG in a comfortable & familiar position.

Better yet ditch the SPG/depth gauge console. Keep it in your gear bag as a backup for if your dive comp stopped working and you don't want to miss out on the next dive. Otherwise, you're going to start carrying backups for everything under the sun.

I also noticed that you want to carry the backup console but no backup timing device?

Of course the alternative to your carrying configuration if you still insist on carrying SPG console is to keep it on the left the way you like it and wear the computer on your right forearm/wrist and switch the transmitter to the right HP port.

I still think that you should have a backup timing device though. The SPG console isn't going to do you much good without a timing device.

thanks. I dive with a standard watch as a timing device. I guess I didn't think the VT3 would naturally replace that so you make a good point. I think I'll try it on my right side this weekend and see how it goes. If I don't use it or it seems awkward I may just leave it in my dive bag and only grab it (and a watch) in case of an emergency.

I dive the Atom 2.0 and leave a SPG in my reg bag. (Actually I have a second Atom as a backup on my shoulder D-ring) For local shore diving I'll often skip the backup. Since your SPG is your backup maybe a short hose and over the shoulder routing would be more convienient.

I dive with a VT3 and yes the manufacturer does recommend that. In 50+dives I have yet to lose reception. I doubt that it is going to make much difference, try it and see what happens especially since you have some back up. Also, I have configured my 1st stage so that the transmitter is pointing down or at a downward angle. When I put my 1st stage on my tank it looks like it is upside down but I did this for a few reasons. I don't want some DM grabbing the transmitter instead of the tank valve when picking it up and it tucks the transmitter out of the way.

Interesting topic in a couple of ways because being newly certified I have noticed that I was taught to have my SPG/depth guage console coming around my right side and hooking onto a D ring around my right chest area. Then find everyone else doing almost exactly the opposite. I guess it is what you learn on.

Second part to that is I have the Suunto Gekko and where it on my wrist instead of on my Suunto console. I have had a couple of people tell me to just removed my analog depth gauge and install my Gekko in the console, reason being you are looking at your SPG then more often. Makes sense to me but I also kind of like the redundancy of having a back up depth gauge.

thanks. I dive with a standard watch as a timing device. I guess I didn't think the VT3 would naturally replace that so you make a good point. I think I'll try it on my right side this weekend and see how it goes. If I don't use it or it seems awkward I may just leave it in my dive bag and only grab it (and a watch) in case of an emergency.

Let me give you my opinion as to why as a REC diver having a backup SPG hooked to the regulator is not essential. As a recreational diver who uses a dive computer (BTW, I use the Aeris Elite T3 which is the same as yours except for the name), if the thing were to give you some weird, crazy readings, it's pretty simple. You terminate the dive and surface.

In this scenario, an SPG gauge does you no good other than adding more drag and weight. It doesn't matter how much air you have left in your tank, you go up anyway because of major equipment failure. It's no different than if you were to use an SPG and it fails on you. If your analog depth gauge were to fail on you, same thing - terminate dive. And naturally, you don't need a depth gauge to tell you that you're getting close to the surface since that you can see it coming as you rise up.

If you have enough air to do a safety stop, then do a safety stop and look at the surface to judge the distance.

Here's why I am going to explain why having a backup/separate timing device is a lot better than an extra hooked up SPG console. As you dive more often, you should know your approximate SAC (varies slightly depending on how hard you swim against the current, distance you've swam, depth, etc. but more or less can be averaged out) and approximately how long a tank of certain capacity would last you underwater.

Let's take a look of my own case. I dive with an HP100 tank and at depth of around 60-80ft, it will last me to around 40-minutes (I'm an air hog) with plenty of air for safety stop and easily 500-psi leftover at the surface for emergency. So, if my computer were to conk out, I'd simply look at my watch and see how long I've been underwater. 20-minutes? 30-minutes? No problem, I have plenty of air for safety stop. Ascend, do safety stop, then surface. Do a square profile dive calculation based on the max known depth (I should know this from the boat captain/dive master's briefing ). Whip out the spare SPG console, hook it up and keep on diving.

If I had dived for 40-minutes or so according to my watch, then I may do a shorter safety stop or simply surface.

If I were to dive at around 30-ft then I'd know that my tank would last me 60-minutes plus reserve and I'd do the same thing as mentioned above. If I were to dive at 80-ft or deeper, I'm going up in a controlled fashion, but I'm going up and surface.

So, for me as a rec diver, I see no use for an attached SPG console.

Of course, another option is to buy an extra dive computer and hook it to your BC or wear it on your wrist as a backup. But then we're having backup for backup for backup for backup. Where does it end? YMMV.

I keep SPG on left HP port/ left hip dring (as is standard) as back up, and the transmitter for my VT pro on right HP port, though I wear the computer on my left wrist (like all my watches). 2 inches left or right for the transmitter won't make a difference. The SPG incl. my compass, so for me I like having one less thing to "put on". As far as opinions on the need for backup, or location, it's whatever makes you comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom