40m without deep specialty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave1981

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just a thought that came to me while laughing at the thread about the PADI police coming to get you at 40m if you're not certified.

I've done quite a few dives this deep now, as a padi DM though not while working. Am I in for the blue flashing lights? Should I technically not be going below 30?

Will they throw me to the Lionfish?

Cheers,
Dave

Just a thought that came to me while laughing at the thread about the PADI police coming to get you at 40m if you're not certified.

I've done quite a few dives this deep now, as a padi DM though not while working. Am I in for the blue flashing lights? Should I technically not be going below 30?

Cheers,
Dave

No. But you will be fined for your transgressions. Go ahead and send PADI your fine payment in advance.:D

Cheers,
Dave
Dare I ask ...

How'd you get to be a DM without learning how to do a deep recreational dive?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Cheers,
Dave

Happens ALL the time---back in March of '86, my wife & daughter(non AOW) made their probably 25th dive to 125' off Grand Cayman's North Wall....both still alive & well....

Dare I ask ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Because you only need 20 dives to start (but 60 to get certified), first aid course done in the last 2 years and to be a rescue diver. To become a rescue diver you only have to be advanced ow which is composed of 5 adventures which are not even specialities... but they let you go deeper after that. So you may not know much about diving, you may not have enough experience but you can be a DM and lead other divers. But I guess you already knew that...

The profile for the OP shows 100-199 dives. Says he is a DM. Asks this question.... My guess is the blue lights are already there :D

Dare I ask ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There's no requirement at all to do the deep specialty, until I think MSDT you need 5 specialties or something like that? Which you can teach to yourself anyway? Don't confuse not having the card with not having the knowledge. I'm not paying $150 for a card.

As always with padi everything is extra, specialities cost a fortune and imo other than nitrox are not worth the cost, wreck is interesting with a few useful pointers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking if I'm endangering myself. I'm just idly wondering what the rules are.

for example, and AOW with 12 dives and deep could dive to 40m, I assist the course to train the diver but wouldn't be allowed to dive to 40m recreationally? or does the fact that I've trained to DM discount that. Just curious. Or to put it another way I suppose there is always the chance that a dive group could request a 40m dive. Could I take them according to standards? I've never read anything saying otherwise.

BTW I had near 100 dives before starting as a DMT, just never saw the point in specialties.

The profile for the OP shows 100-199 dives. Says he is a DM. Asks this question.... My guess is the blue lights are already there :D

Thanks for the constructive reply, your profile shows member joined in 2006 but you don't seems to have grasped the point of the forum. Oh well.

"This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted"

This topic is to my knowledge not covered in the instructor manual nor the DM course and therefor 3.5million dives would not help me answer the question.

PADI AOW certifies to 130 Ft (40 meters). Recommended 100 ft, Max 130 Ft is the wording if I remember correctly. The 2 required dives (out of 5) for AOW are deep and navigation. You have to have AOW for DM. I'm confused... If you have AOW, you are certified to 40 Meters.

I assist the course to train the diver but wouldn't be allowed to dive to 40m recreationally?

You are allowed to dive recreationally (i.e. with no official/professional capacity) to any depth (caveat some areas have laws regulating diving).

a dive group could request a 40m dive. Could I take them according to standards?

I doubt it. I think that would constitute leading a dive beyond your professional qualifications.

But I'm guessing - note I'm not a PADI pro, and that this question is probably better off being addressed in the Going Pro forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom