Diving tomorrow. Concerned about Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm really excited that I will dive tomorrow off Key Largo. However, with all the latest incidents, I'm kinda worried.
I'm a new diver too.

Any advice would help. Thanks

Miami........I dove in Largo last May and the only sharks I ran into were "Nurse " sharks. They were friendly fellows. They just swam around us and stayed out of our way as we did them. The key as I understand it is if you are diving sith sharks in the area stay as close to the bottom as possible3 that way they cannot come at you from below. This generally how sharks attack. In any case if memory and log book serves me the dives were only 25-30 ft and excellent vis. We dove the "Aquarium" and "Molassis" reef. There was lots to see that day and a variety of lifeforms. Dove with "Sharkeys" dive boat. It was ok, but we dove with a full load of 18 people and most of these it was their 1st dive after their OW certification. ( I think maybe it was part of the conference they were on). Long answer to short question, but don't worry dive happy. Butch :peace:

My second or third dive was at a site called Shark Junction. The day before, I heard other divers when they came in talking about seeing sharks. I thought it sounded scary!! When I saw them for the first time it was cool. The closest they came on that dive was maybe 35 ft or so. Since then I've been back to that site a few times and they've gotten closer and closer. The nearest I've been is about 8 ft. That's close enough. Just right for great photos!! These were Caaribean Reef Sharks. I don't know what kind of Sharks there is in the Keys.
Keep an open mind and see what happens. If you worry you won't enjoy the dive.

Remember Diving is supposed to be fun!

Tavi :D

Yes Tavi and Butch,

I know that diving is defineatley enjoyable, and I KNOW for a fact that the media has been playing up the shark attacks this year. They happen every year, but for some reason, they wanted to make Summer of 2001 the summer of the shark attacks.

Despite the hype, I think that there have been a number of incidents especially in and around Florida.
That's mainly what had me a bit concerned. I thank you for your advice and input.

If it helps any, I think most of those attacks were in the Gulf.

Tavi

Like any wild animal, don't get between them and their food (if you're married, you probably already know not to do that from your hubby). Secondly, don't try to "pet" them or tease them or try to "commune" with them, just go your way and they'll go theirs (the shark, not your hubby).

Hi Miami Mermaid,

The following piece is from my "Ask RSD" column of the March 2000 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine. It should put you considerably more at ease.

"While statistics are not fully reliable and vary substantially across time, over the years 1990 through 1998 an average of about 9 unprovoked attacks per year on divers were reported worldwide. Slightly less than 20% proved fatal. In other words, out of the millions of dives done worldwide in each of the last 9 years, on average less than 2 divers per year died as a result of unprovoked shark attack. Death by lightening or a vending machine falling on you is far more probable. Furthermore, these attacks were much more likely to occur in some areas than others. The most numerous attacks on divers occur in the continental US, Australia and Africa (2/3rds in the Republic of South Africa), respectively. Within the US, Florida and California account equally for the majority; Hawaii has less than 1/4 the total of these two states.

Sharks, about which much remains unknown, are among the ocean's most fascinating and maligned creatures. Around for hundreds of millions years, they have changed little in the past tens of millions. The approximately 370 living species range in size from the 6" carnivorous juvenile Dwarf Sharks to the 45’+ plankton eating mature Whale Shark.

Sharks are fearsome predators due to marvelously acute sensory systems, including the ability to sense infinitesimally weak electrical fields, very low frequency sounds such those generated by escaping and struggling prey, and a sense of smell which can detect a single drop of blood in one million drops of water. While vision tends not to be nearly as well developed, some sharks have excellent sensitivity to contrast and motion, and low light acuity.

The majority of sharks pose no threat to man; only about 42 species have been implicated in attacks worldwide. Great Whites account for the majority, and these are often believed to be cases food confusion; humans are not at the top of the menu with high fat animals like seal and sea lion. Next in order are the Tiger and Bull, who some feel aggress just because the diver is in proximity.

Most shark attacks occur from below or behind and are unseen by the diver, although prior to an attack is it not uncommon for them to make increasingly closer passes, or even bump you. Sharks within the line of vision also may signal they are disturbed. This commonly takes the form of an S-shaped posture, with arching of the back, lowering of the pectoral fins, & movement of the tail to one side, and sometimes shaking of the head from side to side--you'll recognize it. If you observe this, return to the boat if possible; if not, slowly sink to the bottom or back up against a reef or wall, and remain motionless. If a shark approaches you very closely, purge your second stage in front of it, then hum deeply or yell into it. If you have no other recourse, such as when a shark starts bumping you, bang it on the snout or gills, but if possible do this only with a gloved hand or arm, or inanimate object. The skin of many sharks is quite rough and could easily draw blood from an unprotected body part. A number of protective measures have been experimented with, including certain chemicals and electrical shields, but none has proved infallible.

You can reduce the already tiny odds of attack by: (1) not diving near fishing, and especially spearfishing; (2) diving in groups; (3) avoiding deep channels and shallow water which rapidly becomes deep; (4) not diving at dusk, dawn or after dark; (5) avoiding shiny jewelry and exposure suits with contrasting colors; (6) avoiding murky water; (7) not harassing a shark; and (8) quickly returning to the boat when a shark becomes overly inquisitive or postures.

A diver following the above suggestions has no reason for fear."

Hope this reduces some of your concerns.

DocVikingo

Sharks are rarely aggressive. Normally, you'll never see them as they tend to stay away from us.

If a shark becomes aggressive, keep an eye on it as you swim underwater back to the boat. Present a confident image. Do not swim quickly, but instead remain calm and graceful. Do not swim with your hands, keep them to your sides or clasped in front of you. This is not the time to be flapping them around. If the shark gets too close, get back to back with your buddy. Growling will often cause the shark to leave. Take off your BC and hold your tank in front of you. If he comes in for a taste, let him bite metal. Exit the water quickly, dropping your BC if necessary. You can always fish it out with a boat hook.

I was planning to dive Venice Beach tomorrow despite reports of hundreds of sharks in the area. The bad news is there's also a report of red tide. The red tide will keep me out of the water.

WWW™

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom