My weight belt is beating me up! LOL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victoriawtx

Contributor
Reaction score
OUCH!!

I use a weight belt with my BP/W, and I use about 10 pounds of lead (5lbs each side). No matter how I try to shift the lead, it ALWAYS ends up leaving bruises on my hips! OOOOWWWEEEEEE.

I went diving last night, and today I can feel where the lead was resting on my hips. I know that I will have another pretty pair of bruises again.

My BP/W is a Halcyon, does anyone have any suggestions for me to weight myself in a less painful manner? LOL

thanks for your help!

victoriawtx once bubbled...
OUCH!!

I use a weight belt with my BP/W, and I use about 10 pounds of lead (5lbs each side). No matter how I try to shift the lead, it ALWAYS ends up leaving bruises on my hips! OOOOWWWEEEEEE.

I went diving last night, and today I can feel where the lead was resting on my hips. I know that I will have another pretty pair of bruises again.

My BP/W is a Halcyon, does anyone have any suggestions for me to weight myself in a less painful manner? LOL

thanks for your help!

You could always make a channel weight reducing the weight needed for your belt or try the halcyon ACB integrated weight pockets http://www.halcyon.net/mc/acb.shtml

A soft wieght belt is another alternative if you want to retain the ability to "ditch" your weights.

I personally like the weight pockets on the harness, keeps things a little more minimalist:D

I had all my weight on my waist and ended up almost not being able to walk. I wear a Zeagle tech and since that day I have integrated 20 pounds into the BC and only have 6 pound on my waist. (I am new). My dive buddies recommended soft weights for around my waist so I can drop some if need be but not all. Works for me right now.

The DUI weight and trim system. Weights go in pockets, but more importantly, you don't have to tighten the belt down so you belt does not fall off. The small, but comfortable straps, go over your shoulders and keep the belt up. Ditching is easy and obvious if you need to do so.

A bit expensive most of the time, and they do increase drag over a hard weight.

Look at your belt as it relates to your bone structure. Is the lead sitting on a "protruding" bone? If so simply move it forward or back on the belt. Sometimes hard "block" weights can be mounted "backward" so effectivly all the weight is outside the belt and that moves it away from the bone structure enough.

The best solution I've found for both ditchable weight $s and comfort is a series of bullet weights crimped to a dedicated belt. Space them so the buckle is where you want it and nothing "hard" is under the belt, and keep a quarter inch or so between weights to avoit pinching. Then lightly tap the inside (thin side) of each weight with a hammer to cause it to lightly grip the belt. You should be able to slide the weight on the belt with some significant effort, but they should be tight enough not to slide on their own.

The weights mount point down thin side in on the belt. The distributed weight doesnt' cause presure points. I normally use 6 to 12 pounds depending on my exposure suit. The heaviest belt of these I've put together was 47 pounds.

A picture of an individual bullet weight is attached. The "bevel" on the bottom reduces the pressure signature of each individual weight by spreading the contact area with the suit.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom