How to use doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dori fish

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i was planning on using doubles pretty soon, like by february. first is besides the manifolds on the tank and my bp/w which i am getting soon what else am i going to need. second is, i was planning on just using a basic nitrox like 36% for this any reccomendations for a kid. any regulator and other gear purchases, i do have a air inter wireless computer and a mares mr22 abyss. what do you use for a reg, hose lengths, plus other gear i am forgetting.

No offense here, but doubles can get you in trouble fast. You're adding concerns for redundant buoyancy, adding failure points (although they also provide more methods to deal with failures), and making it where you can get very far into deco. Online is not the place to learn this, more experience and a mentor/instructor would be a very wise idea.

To answer your questions-

I use a 24in HP hose for my SPG, and a 7ft hose for my primary.

You will need 1 extra 1st stage.

I have no idea what mix to tell you to use, it depends on the dive you're doing. I've seen doubles filled with just about everything.

No offense here, but doubles can get you in trouble fast. You're adding concerns for redundant buoyancy, adding failure points (although they also provide more methods to deal with failures), and making it where you can get very far into deco. Online is not the place to learn this, more experience and a mentor/instructor would be a very wise idea.
i do plan on learning with an instructor how to use it, but i was wondering what course for a 14yr old i should do? and what basic gear i am missing and perhaps what you use?

i do plan on learning with an instructor how to use it, but i was wondering what course for a 14yr old i should do? and what basic gear i am missing and perhaps what you use?
I edited my post to answer some of those questions, see above :D

Here's one major issue you're going to hit....

Doubles are VERY heavy, and can be dangerous to say the least if you have a wing fail on you. A drysuit or dual bladder wing is basically a must for steel doubles.

Also, there's some concern about deco diving while your body is still developing. I'd certainly ask Dr Deco on here if he has any information, I've heard it debated, but haven't looked into it enough to formulate an opinion.

I edited my post to answer some of those questions, see above :D

Here's one major issue you're going to hit....

Doubles are VERY heavy, and can be dangerous to say the least if you have a wing fail on you. A drysuit or dual bladder wing is basically a must for steel doubles.

Also, there's some concern about deco diving while your body is still developing. I'd certainly ask Dr Deco on here if he has any information, I've heard it debated, but haven't looked into it enough to formulate an opinion.

which reg and first stage do you use for your secondary

and computer do you use

which reg and first stage do you use for your secondary
I use salvo SR2/SRX for my 1st/2nd combo. I really like the LP hose on the bottom for clean hose routing. The scubapro mk25 (along with others) has this feature as well.

and computer do you use
I don't use a computer, I use a uwatech bottom timer. I really don't see the need for a computer, IMO that money is better spent towards training that can make you not rely on a computer. If you plan your dives, a computer would just be telling you what you already know.

i was planning on using doubles pretty soon, like by february. first is besides the manifolds on the tank and my bp/w which i am getting soon what else am i going to need. second is, i was planning on just using a basic nitrox like 36% for this any reccomendations for a kid. any regulator and other gear purchases, i do have a air inter wireless computer and a mares mr22 abyss. what do you use for a reg, hose lengths, plus other gear i am forgetting.

Best thing you could do is find a great instructor first...talk with the instructor about your diving goals....he or she should be able suggest a class or series of classes that get you where you want to be.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you in such a rush to learn to dive doubles?

I have no idea if TDI's "Intro to Tech" has an age requirement, but if it doesn't, that would be a good place to start.

Otherwise, you might consider a "mentorship" program with an instructor...if you live in Florida, Rob Neto (dive-aholic on Scubaboard) is an excellent instructor and has a mentorship program that teaches you how to dive doubles.

The first question to ask is, why do you want to use doubles? They are a tool for specific types of dives.

Why do you need to use doubles?

To be completely honest, as an instructor, I would not train someone who is 14 years old with only 25 or so dives to use doubles. I sort of doubt you would find any respectable instructor who would.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom