Commercial Dive Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paleface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In Md. or Del. waters. If you are set up on a wreck and diving or fishing and a commercial dive boat approaches,he announces on his load speaker to leave the area so he can set up to dive. What do you do? What is the law? Keith

I have no idea what the law is but I would tell him to setup somewhere else.
and/or
Call the Coast Guard and see if they knew the answer.

I have no idea what the law is but I would tell him to setup somewhere else.
and/or
Call the Coast Guard and see if they knew the answer.

Posted via Mobile Device

Seems to me that that would be the start of negotiations! Find out how much that divesite was worth to them.

some dive operations have thair own mooring bouys set up and you would not want to be tied up to them. but otherwise the ocean is for everyone. i have had lobster trap boats come over and try to tell us to leave the area and aggresivly suggest that we were taking lobsters out of thair traps. i just warn them that if they get within fifty feet of my boat i will report them to coast guard

In Md. or Del. waters. If you are set up on a wreck and diving or fishing and a commercial dive boat approaches,he announces on his load speaker to leave the area so he can set up to dive. What do you do? What is the law? Keith

Not sure about MD or DE but in NJ we would give him the finger.

:D

Is this a real occurrence? Sounds like you were a legal occupant of a public place.

Question: When you say commercial dive boat, do you mean a charter boat with recreational divers or a commercial dive boat with professional divers doing a job?

And, was it their mooring ball you were tied up to?

If the boat was full of recreational divers and you were anchored or tied to a public mooring, I like RJP's advice - while calling the Coast Guard.:wink:

Is this a real occurrence? Sounds like you were a legal occupant of a public place.

no it wasn't. I am a rookie diver taking my AOW this weekend. Me and my son are going to dive off Del. Md. coast on our own boat. My dive instructor asked me that question and I said I don't know load the paint ball gun. Then he suggested that I find out the answer.
BTW- Thanks RJP that was my first thought!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom