Eating Dead Spiny Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is it ok to eat spiny lobsters after they have died? i.e left out of the water overnight and then frozen the next day after they have already died? Lobster meat supposedly goes bad quickly after their death, however, I'm not 100% sure if this also applies to Caribbean spiny lobsters.

Thanks

They usually die when you twist them in half.

I wouldn't eat one that had been left out in the heat all day, but if you used reasonable care, I wouldn't expect any more of a problem than with fish.

They usually die when you twist them in half.

Walter is 100% correct and the "bacteria clock" starts ticking the minute they die. The amount of bacteria multiplies exponetially as the meat temperature rises. My own rule of thumb is 1 hour at 80 degree air temps and you can throw away the tail, cause it's bad. Also lobster can survive out of the water in cool moist shade for up to 2-3 hours rather than drowning them immediately by putting them on melted ice. If they are not moving when you pick them up in whole condition, their dead.

You really need to get the tails frozen if you intend to keep them past 2 days. Ice slows all this down, but don't let them sit in a watery ice either. To give you an exact length of time would require the exact temperature they are stored at. Get the tails on ice as soon as you de-tail them to slow down the bacteria count. Having your friends all get sick after your dinner party of steak and lobster isn't worth it.

The best way to store a live lobster is wrapped in a wet towel in a fridge or cooler, you don't want them submerged in ice water though.

I wouldn't eat a Lobster that had been dead for more than an hour without refrigeration either. It best just to toss them if you are questioning.

Back
Top Bottom