little cayman or turks and caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbjclj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We just returned from 10 days in Cozumel and are already thinking of our next trip. We are trying to decide between Little Cayman or Turks and Caicos, two places we have not visited.

We have been to Cozumel many times, Grand Cayman, Bonaire, Fiji, Belize and lots of California diving.

Dive ops and accomodation recommendations appreciated.

One question on Little Cayman.... When flying from LA it seems difficult to get from LA to Little Cayman in one day without taking a red eye or flying into Miami the day before.

Many thanks

To make this decision, you'll need to do a little homework up front.

For example, TCI is composed of multiple islands, 4 of which have major scuba infrastructure. Provo, Grand Turk, South Caicos & Salt Cay, and they are quite different. Click here for a map of the TCI----> http://www.tcimall.tc/turks/

Which one(s) are you interested in?

To meaningfully answer your question, it would also help to know what you're looking for in terms of diving & your level of experience, what you want in terms of topside activity, quality of accommodations, any budget considerations, etc.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

We went from LAX to Little Cayman in March. We were able to get a redeye through Memphis on Northwest at very reasonable rates. However, they only fly that route in the winter :(

You could ask a travel agent, but I don't think it would be possible without either taking a redeye or spending the night somewhere (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Houston, Grand Cayman, etc.)

We just are too far and in the wrong time zone to leave in the am. The small flights to Little Cayman only land in the day time (good thing because it would be hard to see the grass landing strip in the evening!)

Have a safe journey & happy diving!

sapphire

Hi Doc,

After looking over this site, I think I would narrow it down to Provo or LC. My husband and I have been diving since 79 and have logged hundreds of dives (he still dives the Channel Islands, but I have said "No more cold water for me")

We want an oceanfront room. Nightlife or sidetrips are not a key factor in our criteria. We are happy to watch the sunset with a cocktail and chat with new friends we've met about each incredible day on each new trip. All inclusive is fine. Good food is key. We can go anytime of year, since we are retired.

Sapphire ,
Thanks for the info on flights. You confirm what I have discovered in researching flights.

Many thanks
Cheryl

jbjclj once bubbled...
Hi Doc,

After looking over this site, I think I would narrow it down to Provo or LC. My husband and I have been diving since 79 and have logged hundreds of dives (he still dives the Channel Islands, but I have said "No more cold water for me")

We want an oceanfront room. Nightlife or sidetrips are not a key factor in our criteria. We are happy to watch the sunset with a cocktail and chat with new friends we've met about each incredible day on each new trip. All inclusive is fine. Good food is key. We can go anytime of year, since we are retired.

While I've never dived off Provo, my impression is that the diving at Grand Turk and Salt Cay, where I have dived several times, is generally better. LC is better yet, IMHO as good as it gets in the Caribbean. You'd enjoy either Pirate's Point or the Southern Cross Club on LC.

We have visited the TCI seven or eight times in the past several years. Provo definitely has a lot of fine dining opportunities. If good food is a primary consideration then forget LC since it is all buffet style. The food at Little Cayman Beach Resort was fantastic but I really enjoy the whole waitress/specials/menu choice as part of the vacation.

Provo is also a mecca for rental villas. Check out our favorite:
http://www.nilavacations.com/Top_o_the_hill.htm

I was there in February, 2003 and here is my trip report: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22983&highlight=top+of+the+hill

TCI is a great place to vacation and dive. I really think you will be happy there. I wouldn't dive with anyone except Caicos Adventures. Fifi is the best op IMHO. If I may be of any other help please do not hesitate to ask.

I think I misspoke re: "good food being key". The diving is the absolute reason for going and we are looking for a location we haven't visited before. If it is an all inclusive, hopefully the food will be good.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
The food at Little Cayman Beach Resort was fantastic
TCI is a great place to vacation and dive. I really think you will be happy there. Fifi is the best op IMHO.

(':nod:')What he said......

(':argue:')Little Cayman is better, No, Provo is better, No, LC,No,T&C.....?

I've been to both, you can't lose, one does usually have beter vis ( LC), one has a few more pelagics (T&C).

Caymaniac:D

caymaniac once bubbled...

(':nod:')What he said......

(':argue:')Little Cayman is better, No, Provo is better, No, LC,No,T&C.....?

I've been to both, you can't lose, one does usually have beter vis ( LC), one has a few more pelagics (T&C).

Caymaniac:D

Yeah just like you said. Caymaniac once again says it better than I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom