St Andrews Panama City advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTodd77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,

I just got a camper and plan on going to St Andrews to dive the jetties and camp. I only live about 5 hrs from Panama City so I plan on going often. However, I'm a new diver and have only logged about 15 dives, so I'll need to dive with someone who can keep me from getting into trouble, like getting pulled out into the gulf. So I was wondering if any of the local shops would have a guide that I could hire to dive with me. If not I'll just have to find a group to tag along with, but I'd really like to dive with a guide or divemaster from the area. Any advice?

Other than finding a local who can show you around, you might want to try and call the Panama City Dive Center. They are located close to the entrance of the St. Andrews Jetties and might be able to help Panama City Dive Center

Hey all,

I just got a camper and plan on going to St Andrews to dive the jetties and camp. I only live about 5 hrs from Panama City so I plan on going often. However, I'm a new diver and have only logged about 15 dives, so I'll need to dive with someone who can keep me from getting into trouble, like getting pulled out into the gulf. So I was wondering if any of the local shops would have a guide that I could hire to dive with me. If not I'll just have to find a group to tag along with, but I'd really like to dive with a guide or divemaster from the area. Any advice?

I think there is a panama city dive club so why don't you join them. Otherwise go an hour or so before high tide after the park opens at 8am on the weekend and you'll find plenty of people around. I know one diver that goes along and just finds a buddy and I'll let him know you are looking for a mentor. Also post when you are planning to go and you might find some takers, especially if you have the gate code!

Call Dive Locker as well, if you are looking to pay for a guide.

If it were me, I'd just try to join up with someone from here on SB to buddy up with while they're out here. Its cheaper, buy em lunch and/or a beer, you'll come out ahead I'm sure :)

I head to the jetties every now and then, but this week the tide schedule isn't cooperating. Also, beware the tide schedule. I've been caught in a killer current at the exact time of the forecasted high slack tide. The current was even pushing through the kiddie pool!

You should also head to some of the fresh water springs in the panhandle. I'm at Morrison and/or Vortex pretty regularly and some of the other springs in the area. Taking a cavern course would open up a lot more sites that are even closer to you.

For my first St. Andrews Jetty dive we hooked up with Chris Berry @ the Dive Locker. For a tip/DM fee he led the dive, towed the flag and kept us out of trouble. It was good for a first timer and and put my wife at ease that I wasn't going to get her in trouble.

Also check some of the previous posts here. Loads of good info on what to do & not to do.

Heed the warnings about the tides. I made a mistake and dove the jetties 3 days after my first dive only to find that the tide had already passed and we hit a strong falling tide. Needless to say we called the dive. I learned to check and double check the tides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom